Chapter 28: Stronger, Faster

Normal Perspective:

A few weeks had passed since the events with the Data Cylinder. Bulkhead had recovered from what had happened, but was forced by Ratchet to rest for a few days afterward, but he was soon allowed to go out on missions and leave the base at will again. Ratchet had also studied the Synthetic Energon formula at length within that time. Despite the formula being incomplete, he had been able to create a variant of it, but a lot of testing still needed to be done before it could be cleared for use. 

Despite having the Synthetic version of the substance worked on and created during that time, the Autobot's stockpile continued to get lower and lower.

Between needing the substance to maintain and repair themselves and using it to power the Groundbridge and other equipment, the stockpile was at an all-time low.

One evening, Ratchet was studying the samples of Synthetic Energon he had created, checking the current variant's stability.

Raf and Vince were also at the base that day along with Jessica and Michael. Jack had to work double shifts at his part-time job, and Miko had gotten grounded for getting detention again.

"Mm... Surprisingly stable." Ratchet muttered, as he looked through a Cybertronian-scaled microscope.

"Hey Ratchet." Raf greeted, as he, Jessica, and Vince walked up. "Is that Synthetic Energon?"

"Well, yes." Ratchet replied. "In fact, I'm preparing to test a sample. I see that you've come equipped with protective goggles."

"I can watch?!" Raf asked in excitement, while Vince rolled his eyes, but he and Jessica also decided to watch.

Ratchet just chuckled.

"We just add some to this test engine..." He said, as he put a canister into an injector, which emptied the canister into the engine, which looked like a larger version of the one he had created for Jack's science fair project a few months previously, but unlike the smaller version, this one didn't freak out once powered up.

The engine's lights turned from an Energon-blue to a neon bluish-green color as the green Energon was injected.

At first, nothing happened, but then the engine started up.

"It works!" Raf exclaimed as he, Jessica, and Vince ran up to it. "'Bee!"

"Ep Ep Ep, this iteration of the formula requires further trial before we can even think about using it for fuel, ammunition, or first-aid." Ratchet explained. "Which is unfortunate since our own Energon reserves are at an all-time low."

Raf, Jessica, and Vince looked at him in concern, wondering how bad this was.

"Our severely outnumbered warriors have been rapidly burning through our stockpile of late, as the Decepticon army continues to run us ragged and grind us down..." Ratchet explained grimly. "Natural Energon is in such short supply on your planet... and Megatron seems to have his oily claws buried in all the Earth's deposits... but, if we can successfully produce a synthetic form, we can manufacture all the energy we'll ever need."

Just then, the radar began to go off as it picked up an Energon signal, and the Autobots, plus Michael in his Cybertronian form, as well as Starscream, walked into the room.

"More Energon on the move." Arcee said, sounding fed up.

"Again?" Bulkhead groaned.

"When is this gonna stop?" Cliffjumper asked in groaning annoyance.

"Their recent activity suggests a familiar pattern." Optimus said. "The Decepticons are desperately scouting for new deposits to mine. Autobots-"

"Optimus," Ratchet interrupted. "if one of you comes back wounded this time... well, our Energon reserves are nearly depleted."