Chapter 47: Powers

A chapter for the *does head count* microscopic amount of Wilbur Soot simps in the audience.
_________________________________________
Wilbur POV.

I blew out a puff of smoke from my lips, watching as the toxic fumes spiralled up into the dark night sky. When I lowered my gaze I saw a man in a black hoodie leaning against a brick wall, holding a pocket knife. I didn’t care about that though, it was probably just some member of a gang, trying to commit a murder, nothing worth focusing on.

My attention turned away from the alleyway as I felt the heat from the cigarette on my fingers, meaning I was almost finished. A sigh fell from my lips as I shut the window I had been leaning out of before walking over to my desk, flicking through some files.

In reality I wasn’t planning on doing anything today, I had tried talking to Tommy earlier and he had just screamed at me so I left. After all, there was no point being somewhere that I was not wanted. In fact if I listened carefully I swear that I could still hear him crying out, but I managed to push the thoughts and noises into the back of my mind.

After years of waiting I finally got to see him again, and it hurt that he hated me, especially since we had been so close when we were growing up. Back when I was a kid Techno, Clay, and I were all the best of friends, Philza even gave us the nickname of ‘the three musketeers’, and Tommy was our fourth musketeer seeing as he always wanted to be with the three of us.

We were all fine with it, however after the two of them went missing and it was just me and Tommy for a while we grew even closer, through our grief for our brother and for Clay. When they finally came back though we grew closer still, because Philza began focusing his time on helping the pair of them.

They had powers which our father was helping them learn to control, and since the government and the city council thought that the two of them were dangerous he was trying to train them to use their powers for good to help prove the council otherwise.

So he began focusing on them more, and I had to pretty much become a parent for my younger brother. I had to make him dinner every night, I had to help him with his homework, I had to remind him to clean his room, etc. Because of what had happened I had to give up my life, my childhood, in order to look after my brother.

But I guess it could have been worse off for both of us. I wasn’t with Clay and Techno the day that they were taken. If I had been with them and had managed to come back with powers then I’d probably not have been able to look after Tommy, and nobody else would have looked after him either.

Philza had been heartbroken when Clay and Techno went missing, so I couldn’t blame him, however he was focusing too much on mourning his missing son and not on the two sons who were too young to take care of themselves.

14 years ago

“You’re so lucky.” Techno pouted at me, his demeanour playful as it usually was. I was curled up under the covers of my bed, a bowl beside me in case I threw up at any point, sitting with a wary smile on my face. “Can’t believe you got a day off school.”
“It’s not worth it,” I responded with a sigh, “I haven’t slept or eaten in hours.”

“Can you ask Phil if I can stay here for the day with you?” He continued to question, giving me a pleading look which made me chuckle.
“He likes you more. Plus, you can’t leave Clay alone at school. We have History first period and Mrs Rogers hates him, he’ll end up in detention.” The two of us chuckled slightly at the thought.

“True,” Techno agreed, grabbing his backpack and swinging it over his shoulder. “I guess I’ll go save our dumbass friend then.” He smirked before walking out, leaving me alone in my room and I rolled onto my back to stare at the ceiling with a groan.