I rushed to my house, not daring a look back at him so he wouldn't see my red splotchy face. I shut the front door and headed to my room quickly, locked the door and buried my head in my pillow, crying my eyes out until I fell into a distressed sleep.

Although Noah and I weren't romantically involved or anything, him telling me he had a girlfriend (of four years if I might add) came as close to heartbreak as I had ever experienced. I was in my room all through Thursday night and actually called in sick to work on Friday. This was the first time I had ever let personal issues get in the way of my obligations but I felt like if I saw Noah I just might throw up.

Depression was an awful thing, it made colours seem dull and lifeless, it made you not want to get out of bed because there was actually nothing to look forward to and generally everything was sadder.

I was in my room on Saturday, curled up in my bed, reading on Metallurgy and pretending to be sick when my mom burst in. The look on her face told me she meant business.

"Ellenore Rose Wyatt. You have been holed up in this room for two days now. Everyone is worried"

"I told you mom, I'm sick and I don't want to spread my germs", I faked a sniffle and tried to pull my comforter over my face.

My mom was having none of that. She reached out and flung the comforter off. "You forget I'm your mother. You're not sick"

Darn it. Why did I have to have such a perceptive mom?

Her expression softened and she sat down on my bed. "I know something's up honey; I was just trying to give you your personal space"

I didn't answer her, wishing I could just stop hurting and the ache in my chest would go away. Now everyone was worried because of me. I didn't want that.

Mom reached out and stroked my short hair.

"Is this because of Noah?" she asked

"No" I blatantly lied. It even hurt to hear his name.

"Are you sure?" she didn't look convinced

"Mom just drop it, okay?" I didn't mean to snap but my tone came off a bit harsh.

"Okay" my mom said which surprised me a little. The woman didn't usually back down easily. I lifted my head a little to observe her. She looked a little sad, reminiscing on something.

"I remember before there was Maya, I used to be the one you used to tell everything to", she said wistfully

"Even when there was a Maya", she gave me a sad smile "It was me and you against the world, remember?"

I remembered. Mom and I had been best friends, it had been just the two of us for a long while. But things weren't the same as they used to be anymore. She had other people to care for now, and I had failed miserably in thinking I had found someone else who cared about me.

It hurt to see the look on her face though, so I sat up and gave her a hug.

"It will always be you and me against the world, mom", I could feel her smile at my back as she hugged me back.

"You know you can tell me anything. At your own time, I'll be here to listen"

"I know"

"Okay I need to go now, baby", my mom pulled away "Please come downstairs for dinner today, I think it'll put everyone at ease"

"Okay I'll try" I replied and watched as she left my room and shut the door behind her. I mustered up the energy to force myself out of bed and into the bathroom for a hot shower. I was tired of being an emotional wreck because of Noah. He was probably having the time of his life, toying around with my feelings knowing he had a girlfriend because I let myself be vulnerable. And I was here, holed up in my room for days, crying and being generally pathetic for a guy.

My inner feminist would be ashamed of me. Heck, I was ashamed of myself. I got out of the shower and dressed up, eyeing my phone as it vibrated for the umpteenth time. Both Maya and Noah had been calling nonstop since Thursday, but I hadn't quite worked up the mood to take Maya's calls I knew would lead to a barrage of questions, much less Noah's.

I walked over to my phone and checked the caller ID, it was Noah this time. My heart constricted painfully in my chest, much as I wanted to hate him, feelings didn't just disappear overnight.

I went downstairs where everyone was having Chinese take out for dinner, lounging around the living room and watching TV. They all looked at me as I shuffled in, the expressions on their faces a mixture of concern and curiosity.

"Hey guys", I tried to plaster a fake smile on my face for their sakes. I went over to the coffee table and got my own pack of Chinese food and then sat down on one of the chairs.

"Uhm... are you feeling better, Ellie?" asked Trent, his chopsticks hovering over his pack of take out as he watched me. Wow, Trent was actually worried about me. I could have never imagined the day; it sent a bitter sweet pang through my chest.

"Yeah, much better", I gave him a smile, not bothering to go into details. At that moment, I wished I could be closer to my new family, so I didn't have to hide my feelings from them. I could see they cared about me, even though I had shut them out for so long.

"So what's been happening on The Amazing Race?" I asked which made everyone relax a little and resume watching. I tried to enjoy my dinner and follow up on the show, but I could barely taste the food, just chewing mechanically and staring blankly at the TV screen as the memories of Thursday night replayed over and over again in my head.

I don't know whether I enjoyed torturing myself, but I just couldn't help it.

Sometime later, I don't know when because I was so out of it, the door bell rang.

It rang once, twice.

"I'll get it", my mom said. She had just stood up to go on a bathroom break. I watched as she walked out of the living room, heard her cross the foyer and then open the front door.

The voice that hit me then made my heart slam painfully against my chest.

"Hey, I need to talk to Ellie. Is she in?" Noah's deep slightly accented voice trickled in over the noise of the television.

My eyes bulged in alarm. Oh no. What was he doing here? I didn't want to talk to him. I don't think I could even bear the sight of him.

I began to panic, my hands gripping on the armrest of the chair I was sitting on till my knuckles turned white. My breath came in shallow heaves.

My mom didn't say anything for a moment. Then she said, "I'm sorry, Noah. Ellie's not at home right now"

Oh, my. Bless her. My mom was a low key super hero. She had known something was up between us even when I told her otherwise. I let out a relieved breath.

"Oh" Noah's voice sounded a bit defeated "Well do you know where she went? Or when she'll be back?"

"She might be off somewhere with Maya but I can't say for sure", my mom replied

"Okay", Noah paused for a while, probably thinking "Please tell her I came by whenever she gets back. Or to answer my calls, I really need to speak with her"

"Will do. Have a pleasant day, Noah", my mom said dismissively. I heard the door shut and I stood up and walked out to meet my mom in the foyer.

Some emotion welled up in my throat as I heard his car start up outside and pull away.

"Thank you", I gave my mom a sad smile and hugged her.

"Anything for you" her look told me she needed no explanation

"I love you mom"

"Back at you honey"

I didn't want everyone to see me become an emotional wreck and become worried all over again so I headed back up to my room and buried myself between the sheets of my bed. Surely, I could sleep off this renewed ache I felt in my chest. Even if it was just for a while, I didn't want to feel it anymore.

Hi guys. Thanks to everyone who has been reading. It really means a lot. Wish I could update more but school has got me busy. Hope you enjoy the chapter. Votes, comments, suggestions all welcome!