Ch. 68 Village of the Walking Dead

The Hidden Leaf Village did its best to prepare their shinobi for the rank of mission they are being sent on.

However, Akari was sure that nothing would've had prepared her of what to do when she found few dead bodies of several women stuffed inside a single house, surrounded by a triangle of blood that she now recognized as a ritual offering to Lord Jashin, from what Matsuri had told her.

"Calm down," Akari muttered to herself, pulling her mask up to avoid the smell.

She closed her eyes for a few seconds, steadying herself, before summoning Bisuke.

"Akari!" he yipped happily.

"Is Scarecrow sensei on a mission right now?"

Bisuke blinked a few times. "He was using me as a bait to avoid Gai-san when you summoned me," he answered.

"Then he doesn't need you right now," Akari muttered, pointing in front of them.

"What's this?" Bisuke whimpered, staring at the pile of bodies in front of them.

"Can you track down the person who did this?"

Bisuke looked hesitant for a few seconds before shaking his head. "I can't distinguish their smell," he muttered.

"Try, Bisuke."

Bisuke sighed before begrudgingly stepping nearer to the corpses.

After a few seconds he was making his way outside the house. Akari followed him as he followed the smell, before both of them stopped on a dead end.

"The scent disappeared," Bisuke muttered confused.

Akari frowned, before activating her Sharingan and looking around. Her eyes caught a small trail of chakra below the ground that they were standing on, and everything seemed to slow down for a second.

"Release", Akari growled, seeing Bisuke's confused expression as he disappeared in a puff of smoke at the same moment as when the ground tore apart and a clawed creature lunged at her.

She grunted, jumping back and glancing at her now injured thigh, before blowing a fire ball, followed by a wind style, creating a tornado of fire reaching as high as a four storey building in the neighbourhood.

An enraged howl was heard from the fire and she saw a lion-like creature jump at her, shedding one of its skin.

On his back was definately a shinobi.

"Let's see, let's see, who's this," the man muttered, followed by a crazed laugh at the end. He was covered by an orange cloak and a straw hat, carrying a scythe.

Like Hidan.

Akari gritted her teeth.

She was about to attack when she heard noises from below her and saw two women running away from... another man wielding a scythe.

Akari made a motion to jump in to save them, but a strong gust of wind pinned threw her back against a bunch of rocks.

She glared at the offending lion with her Sharingan activated, before casting another summoning hand-sign and slamming her hand on the ground.

"How many times have I said-"

"Eisaku protect them," Akari cut off his complaining.

The wolf blinked, taking in the scene, before complying.

"I'll take care of these bastards, I just need you to protect those two women," Akari called out.

"Don't order me around," Eisaku growled, jumping in front of the two women either way.