Ch. 64 A Brief Stay at the Hidden Sand

"Lord Gaara, a messenger from the Leaf is here to see you."

Gaara blinked, glancing up from his paper-work. "Let them in," he ordered with a slight frown.

Few seconds later he watched a familiar figure walk in, before kneeling respectfully and holding out a scroll. He observed that her motions didn't seem very fluid, as if it was her first mission where she was in-charge of speaking to the higher authorities.

"Lord Kazekage, I'm a shinobi... kunoichi... kunoichis are shinobi....," the Konoha shinobi placed her chin in her hand, thinking. "Ninja. I'm a ninja officially sent by the Leaf for the joint mission with the Sand."

"You're a child," Gaara muttered under his breath.

He saw the figure kneeling in front of him twitch with annoyance.

"I remember you from the chunin exams. You were that brat who kept shipping me," he deadpanned. "What was it, Uchiha Akari?"

"Akari Uchiha Hatake!" the chunin proudly declared.

Gaara blinked. "Like Kakashi-san?"

"Yes yes! I'm his apprentice," Akari grinned, pulling her mask up.

Gaara blinked again. "I... see..."

"Jeez, Scarecrow-sensei is famous," Akari muttered to herself. "I mean the Kazekage recognizes him like that," she clicked her fingers.

"He helped save my life a few days ago," Gaara clarified. "And he was one of the few adults who did not see me as a monster back when I was a child."

Akari blinked. "You don't seem very old now."

"You're in presence of the Kazekage you brat!"

"Who let her in!? She'll get us fired!"

Two desperate voices hissed from the background.

"I can't fire my own siblings," Gaara sighed. Temari and Kankuro laughed sheepishly.

"We know... we knew that..."

Gaara only sighed again at the uncertainty in his sister's voice.

Kankuro grabbed the scroll from Akari, examining it. "You're the leader of this mission?"

"Yes," Akari admitted as Kankuro continued to examine the scroll and everyone was silent for a while.

Akari glanced around. "So... I heard you died recently."

Akari suddenly felt a powerful punch on her stomach and looked at a glaring Temari, who was giving her a warning If-you-don't-shut-up-now-I'll-dedicate-the-rest-of-my-existance-to-ending-yours look.

"Oomph," she spluttered, regaining her balance.

"Hence this mission," Gaara muttered. "Kankuro, send Matsuri and Maki on this mission."

"Only kunoichi?" Kankuro questioned frowning. Akari's eye twitched.

"Is that a problem?" Gaara tilted his head.

"...Well... no, I guess," Kankuro muttered, disappearing from the room.

"Temari, get Akari a room to stay during her visit, please."

"She's staying?" Temari blinked.

"I'm staying?" Akari blinked.

"Yes," Gaara answered both of their questions. "Until you get acquainted with your new team-members."

Temari disappeared from the room, leaving only Gaara and Akari.

"Akari Uchiha, Konohagakure, chunin," Gaara muttered reading her profile. "Spy?" he glanced up.