Ch. 10 Why iS scarecrOW senSEI LIKE THIS-

Sara was happily walking on the street towards a girl's reunion. Asuma sensei was again busy with his previous students.

She didn't mind at all. She was happy that she received a day off. Finally. Now she could go to find Akio before meeting her academy friends.

She stopped short when he heard someone falling down, grunting, and then cursing a... tree? She peeked in training ground seven.

It was Akari. The 12-year-old Yamanaka scrunched up her nose looking at all the dirt on the younger girl's clothes and hair. Gross. Why was she even training if no one was around? And why was she doing such a gross training? Ugh.

Well, Akari had always been weird.

------

It was the third day for Akari as an official ninja, and she was already feeling more excited every day. She was so close to mastering the tree climbing exercise! Sakura was amazing at explaining her the basics the previous day, and after several trials and errors, she was sure she was close to mastering it by the evening of the second day.

It was still slightly demotivating that Sakura got it right the first time, but that just meant that Akari needs more work on her chakra control!

She finally climbed up the tree, grinning to herself. She did it!

She glanced back at her master, who was lying below another tree.... asleep? With a book on his face.

Akari scowled. He should be mentoring her!

She sighed. She knew she didn't impress a ninja of his caliber, and seeing how good Sakura was, she was probably not as good as his previous students.

But he had to be impressed now, right? She finally completed the tree climbing, and when she ran into Oda the previous day at the grocery store, he said they hadn't started the tree climbing exercise at all! 

"Sensei!" she called out from top of the tree. His figure twitched slightly, however he made no move to acknowledge her.

Akari frowned. Was he ignoring her? No, he won't do that, right?

She shrugged, climbing down the tree, before excitedly bouncing over to him.

"Kakashi sensei," she said, nudging him. She made an attempt to move the book, however his hand immediately snatched it away. One lazy eye stared up at her.

"What is it?" his voice sounded annoyed.

Akari's happy smile faded for a second, before she plastered it back on.

"I did it!" she grinned. "I completed the tree climbing exercise!" she said, excited, looking at him carefully for his reaction.

Kakashi grunted as he sat up straighter. "And?" he asked dryly.

Akari couldn't help the smile fading from her face.

"Um... I... climbed the entire tree using chakra," she said, her tone sounding nervous instead of excited now.

"I heard, and? That's it? That's why you woke me up?" he asked, no trace of being impressed in his voice. He sounded annoyed instead.

Akari's heart fell. She felt stupid for feeling like crying. Of course it wasn't a big deal. She climbed a tree... so what?

"Um... r-right... sorry, sensei," she stammered, avoiding his eye. "I won't disturb you next time," she whispered.

She heard Kakashi sigh and decided she won't be able to take the insults that she assumed would follow that sigh.