Why is it always Gaara-10

"Surprise!" I say covering his eyes with my hands. "Guess who it is," I say standing behind him. I felt him smile and lean back against me. I pulled my my hands away and we locked eyes. He smiled and moved closer to me and closed his eyes. I smiled and ruffle his hair.

It had been almost a year since we had become friends. I had tried to come after every mission and always asked for assignments near or at the sand. It had been almost two weeks since my last mission outside the village. I had been working in the village instead. 

The Akatsuki had been causing a lot of trouble recently and Tsunade had me working extra to find any weaknesses for the assassin to bring them down. We had had no luck lately. Plus Naruto Uzumaki had come back to the village recently meaning the Akatsuki could come looking for him soon. I hadn't had any more encounters with Akatsuki since Aikio. 

"I missed you," Gaara said pulling me into him. I wrapped my around his shoulders as he was sitting down. 

"Lady Tsunade has kept me busy, haven't had the chance to sneak away." I say, playing with the tip of his red hair. He had been letting his hair grow out, and I quite liked playing with it. 

"Anything interesting been happening here?" I ask looking behind Gaara at all the paperwork on his desk. He gave a defeated sigh. 

"Kankuro just came in a delivered all of these." I laughed at how annoyed he was at his older brother. 

"Here, I'll help." I get up and walk over to a stack of papers. For the next hour I helped Gaara with  his paperwork. Truthfully there wasn't as much as it seemed. Gaara was pretty good about staying neat and on time with paperwork.  It only took so long because of certain distractions. 

"Now that your Kazekage work is done, you can spend the day with me!" I say excited wrapping my arms around his neck and looking up at him. I was quite a bit shorter then him but Gaara always found it cute when I had to look up to talk to him directly. 

"Sorry I can't Kai." He said placing a hand on my head. "There's a meeting with the elders I have to go to." I cross my arms pouting. 

"What do they want this time?" 

"The Akatsuki has been on the move lately and they want to discuss security measures." I nod my head understanding. I knew about the Akatsuki going after the tailed beast which is why they came for me. But I had really hoped that Gaara being kazkekage they'd be to scared to go after him. But I knew that every member of the Akatsuki was beyond or close to kage level. 

"What if they come after you?" I mutter quietly, Gaara stops in front of the door and walks back to me. He places his hands on my shoulders. 

"I'm the sand's ultimate defense. There's no reason to worry. I can handle them if they do." He tells me softly. I up from the ground and meet his eyes. He takes a stray piece of hair and places it behind my ear and bends down and places a soft kiss on the bridge of my nose. 

"We can hang out later,," he says before leaving for the meeting. I sigh as he leaves, only a few people new we were  friends. Which meant it Gaara couldn't just leave work to hang out with me because it was a secret. I didn't know what was going on with me and Gaara's friendship either. We acted like more than friends sometimes but we haven't fully kissed since tha5 night. Just a few cheek or forehead kisses. But it could be seen as brotherly right?

I decided to go and walk around the building and explore some more when I ran into Kankuro. I looked at him confused. 

"Shouldn't you be with Gaara in his meeting." I say looking at him. 

"They wouldn't let me in, said it was private business with the kazekage." He said. 

"Oh," I said quietly. "Where's Temari?" I ask looking for her, she was normally always with her brothers.