"If I knew it would traumatize you, I would have called her sooner."

"Yea, yea. I'm happy that didn't happen. Love you Mel but my bed is calling my name."

"You need to go out." Melissa pointed at the door. "See the world, take a breath of fresh air and stay away from all the depressing shit you've been inhaling."

"The air in my room smells just fine."

"You are going to mature into a recluse."

Heather waved as she ascended the stairs. "I don't think that's how it works."

Melissa shook her head wondering what she was going to do with the young woman in her care.

°°°

Renee stood behind her desk staring at the beautiful view from her office window, It stretched up to the ceiling, occupying the rest of the space till the edge of her office. Her building standing at twenty feet, it was truly a sight to behold; it was also one of her biggest achievement. An office she could call her own, an office far above the normal average, an office she had only seen in movies. Choosing to pursue her dead career to be a big shot lawyer was a far-fetched dream she turned to reality. Her success wasn't gotten easily, strings were pulled in her favor, she might have been given her life on a platter of bronze but she didn't care.

Her life might not have been hers to mold but she carved it for years, paying back double what she had been given, if she was going to be a dog, might as well serve her master till she bit his hands.

"I see you're back in office."

Renee rolled her eyes, that voice was still as annoying as the first time she heard it.

"Obviously." Renee said still admiring the view.

"Won't you greet me?"

"Why would I do that?" Renee threw the bait.

"Because I'm your father-in-law." Caught.

"Actually" Renee turned wanting to see his face when she dropped the bomb. "You aren't."

Max Salvatore stood unsmiling in the middle of her office staring her down. "Is that your version of a joke?"

"Even if I cracked one, I doubt you would laugh." Renee plopped herself down on her chair.

"Still as ungraceful as ever." Max scoffed.

Renee placed her legs on the table not at all bothered by the look of disgust on his face. "I didn't stutter Max, I am not your daughter-in-law."

"Have you started smoking crack?"

"Sounds like fun, maybe I should do it?"

"I'm not in the mood for your games." Max glared at the woman giggling in front of him. "Did you get the job done?"

"Sir yes sir. I sent the woman packing and crying." Renee clicked her fingers.

"And my daughter?"

"I sent her divorce papers."

"Did she get the ranch?" Max asked ignoring her once more.

"No she didn't daddy dearest, you might have to think up another plan for that one."

"That's fine. You'll have to go bac-"

"Whoa whoa whoa. Did you miss the part where I said your daughter and I are no longer together?"

"Yes. We can come to your poor jokes some other time, I need someone on the ins-"

"Max!"

"What is it woman?!" Max snapped.

"I am not going to be doing your dirty works for you anymore."

"Very bold of you to assume you get a say as to when I stop using you." Max chuckled.

"Actually I do, I have paid in full what I took from you and done jobs no one would do for you."

"You owe me girl" Max spat out. "I don't care how much you pay to me, I made you who you are today so you owe me for the rest of your life."

"I am not dealing with your shit Max, I said I'm done so-" Renee gestured towards the door. "I'm fucking done."

Max laughed then, a loud laugh that shook his big frame. "You are kicking me out of your office?"

"Yes Max and please-" Renee pushed the button to call her secretary. "don't come back."

"You're finished Renee. Done." Max tapped her table with a smile.

"I think I'll be fine, rolling around in the dirt got me a few friends of my own."

"We'll see about that."

Max Salvatore slammed her office door on his way out making Renee's ear ring, letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding, she resumed her spot in front of the window.

This meant war, Max Salvatore was going to ruin her, or rather, he was going to try.

°°°
I apologize for the late update but I'm back.
This is to everyone who commented and checked on me.
Thank you.