Chapter 20 - Burn

The Garrison

Danielle was in the Garrison, her shift for the day had just begun and people were in the pub regardless of the fact that it was only morning. Danielle was finishing her closing duties from the night before that didn't get done when Harry approached her, "My brother from Digbeth just said the police are coming down from Deritend in numbers, asking for Tommy Shelby by name."

"They're what?" Danielle said, and suddenly she put down her glass and went to run out of the bar.

Just before she approached the entrance of the Garrison, Tommy came through the doors, "Tommy, what's happened?"

"I've lost my bargaining power," Tommy walked over to the door to the backroom of the pub and motioned for Danielle to enter the room. She walked into the room and Tommy followed her, closing the door.

"The guns?" Danielle asked.

"She must've known where they were the same way she knew when Freddie was around." Danielle knew he was talking about Grace. Tommy was telling the truth about Freddie after all.

"Tommy you shouldn't be here, the police will be here any minute," Danielle put her hands on his arms worryingly.

"You need to go home, to Manchester, it isn't safe here," Tommy said, pulling out of her embrace and putting his arms on the sides of her face.

"I can't do that, if the inspector knew I was in France, he'll know where I'm from for god's sake. There's no way he doesn't know where my family is, Tommy." He looked her up and down.

"This copper, it's just me and him now," Tommy looked in her eyes, "When I get back I'm going to tell you some things."

Suddenly Finn burst through the door, "The police are in the lane, Tommy!"

Danielle grabbed his hand, "come with me," and she led him out the back door and down the alleyway.

Danielle's Flat

Back at the flat, Danielle lit a candle and began to dust off the table. Tommy was standing in the entryway watching her, "Do you want a drink, Tommy?"

He closed the door and walked further into the flat, "Tea, Tommy?"

"Tea, no," he responded.

"I have gin," she suggested, there wasn't much left in the flat in terms of alcohol.

"Actually, tea it is," Tommy decided, and Danielle smiled and began to prepare some tea.

Meanwhile, coppers prepared to make raids all around Small Heath. Anywhere that Thomas Shelby may be hiding. Based on information the inspector gathered from the barman in the Garrison, the couple was going to her place. As such, the inspector thought it best to be here, at the flat, while synchronous raids occurred at the Shelby house. His coppers were now in the lane surrounding the flat silently and carefully. Inspector Campbell motioned to command his officers. He held up three fingers:

Three. His officers got into position.

Two. They prepared to blow the door open.

One. They wound back the battering ram.

BANG - Officers swarmed the flats, guns drawn, "It's the police Mr. Shelby," the inspector scowled. He then looked around the apartment. Empty. It was empty. Where could they be? The inspector threw the table over in frustration.

"Is this why you kept your job at the Garrison?" Tommy asked, tea in hand.

"Yes," Danielle looked down at the kettle and smiled. When Danielle moved into the flat Tommy was paying for, she knew it would be wise for her to keep paying the rent on her old one. Though she benefited from the arrangement she had with Tommy over the last six months, she didn't want money to be the reason she kept her name on the contract.