Chapter 14 - Cheltenham

The Next Morning

Danielle woke up and glanced across the bedroom to the red dress she had bought, hung up on the closet door. After she got dressed, she looked at herself in the mirror. Not only did the red stand out against her complexion, but the gold and green tones of the necklace made her eyes glisten. Before she left the flat, Danielle reached into her nightstand drawer and pulled out the pistol she had stashed away in the drawer when she moved into the flat. Danielle thought of it as a precaution. It was not that she didn't trust Tommy, but that the day was unpredictable, and the only thing she knew may occur was conflict.

She stepped out onto the cobblestones, "Good morning, Isaiah," she said. Feeling bad about the fact that the boy had practically followed her around each day.

"Good morning, Miss." He replied as he tipped his cap.

Danielle walked straight through the doors of the Garrison and into the bar. When she did so she saw Grace, standing by the snug window, with a glass in her hand. How interesting, Danielle thought to herself. Though she was not entirely sure what Grace had been doing, Danielle was starting to get an idea.

Hearing her arrive, Tommy stepped outside of the Garrison, leaving his brothers behind. Upon seeing her, he took a deep breath and raised his eyebrow. Every bloody chap at the races would be looking at her. The pair walked outside, "Is it just the two of us going to the races?" Danielle asked, questioning Tommy's plan. Perhaps it was a good thing she packed her father's pistol.

"Something like that," Tommy replied before the pair drove off.

When they arrived, Tommy ushered Danielle through the back door, "Are you sure we're allowed in here?"

"I prefer to come to the races the backway, keeps me out of trouble," Tommy guided her through hallways where people worked, and towards whatever location he was focused on.

"I'll believe that when I see it."

"You do the talking, Danny," Tommy said, enjoying the way Danielle looked at him when he surprised her.

"What-" Danielle said, looking at Tommy who's hand was pressed against her back.

"Come on Danny, earn your 3 quid," Just as he finished speaking the pair arrived at a security checkpoint.

"Where do you think you're going," the man said, and Tommy was completely silent.

"Oh I'm terribly sorry sir," Danielle said, putting her hand on the man's arm, "I'm Lady Sarah Duggan. I got lost trying to place a bet on my horse. Pardon me I'll just step back through," and together Dannielle and Thomas entered a grand looking ballroom.

"I still prefer the Garrison," Tommy said, and Danielle smiled at him, "Lady Sarah, will you dance with me? I know you like to be asked properly."

Tommy held out his hand and Danielle accepted by placing her hand in his. As they danced both partners smiled. Danielle felt as though she was on top of the world in Tommy's arms, "I see you wore the necklace," he said.

"As you said, I'm earning my 3 quid," Danielle replied and Tommy smiled, even he couldn't ignore how right it felt to have Danny firmly in his arms.

That was when Tommy made eye contact with Kimber, and was pleased to see that he was clearly watching them dance. Tommy checked his pocket watch, and began guiding Danielle towards an exit door, "Where are we going, Tommy?"

"I've decided to move up in the world, Danny," he propped open the door and Arthur came through and set some bags, presumably of money, on the ground.

"Hello, Angel, you look beautiful. You'll have to wear that dress to my pub" Arthur said, looking up at her.