Chapter 16 - Gift

One Week Later - Polly

After seeing Danielle and Tommy bicker for yet another week, Polly decided it was time to take matters into her own hands. So she walked into the snug where Tommy was alone, and closed the door behind her. She then walked to the snug window and closed it as well. She sat at the table across from Tommy and he slid her a letter that he had received. Polly saw that it was from an anonymous source, and contained information about Stanley Chapman, a known communist and someone she was sure the inspector would like to know about.

This, however, was not why she came here, and so she told Tommy "I want to propose a strategy," Tommy sat up straighter in his chair, "but first we need to talk."

"Talk about what, Pol."

"We need to talk about the girl," Tommy took out a cigarette, "I do not know what has been going on between you, and I don't know what has changed," he ran the cigarette along his lips, "But, whatever it is Tommy, you need to fix it."

"Fix what, Polly, there is nothing to fix."

"Yes, there is. Because there's a woman walking around Birmingham wearing your mother's necklace, and she can't stand the sight of you," Polly raised her voice. Tommy continued to act uninterested, "Since the war-"

Tommy cut her off, "Since what, Pol. Eh? Since the world changed for good? I've changed too you know, and I don't have time for her or her problems."

"Shut up and listen to me boy," Polly said, standing from the table, "Your brother is so desperate for partnership that he would look to find it in the likes of Lizzie Stark. But you Tommy Shelby, you have someone practically fall into your lap that is not only beautiful, but intelligent and logical, and yet you are willing to throw that away, and for what?"

"Polly," Tommy said.

"Are you so caught up in your own pride, that you cannot stand the thought of being with someone who makes you happy?"

"I have business to attend to, Pol," Tommy said.

"Or is it that you're scared about what might happen if you let that girl into your head," Polly's tone got louder.

"I don't have time for this," Tommy said, standing from his chair. Polly had clearly hit a nerve with that one.

"You're never going to find another person like her Tommy," Polly said, turning to face him where he was standing in the door.

"I know," Tommy said before leaving the Garrison.

Polly walked out of the snug feeling more frustrated than when she was when she went in. Men and their cocks, she thought to herself. Before she left, the barmaid interjected, "Is everything okay, Mrs. Gray?"

That was not the first odd interaction Polly had with Grace.

That Night

It was getting late now and both Danielle and Tommy were in bed, tired from the evenings, activities, and Danielle wondered if he might stay the night. He lay beside her, no clothes with a cigarette in his hand, "we got our first legal betting license today." Danielle wasn't sure if he was bragging, or if he was excited to tell her, "you helped us get it, so thank you."

Danielle sat up on the bed, "Your welcome."

"Did you strike a deal with Ada and Freddie?" Danielle asked, and Tommy turned to look at her to try to understand how she knew, "Polly told me."

"Yes, I did." Good thought Danielle, she had missed Ada and she would be getting closer to having the child, "Pull out a dress Danny, in a few days there will be a special occasion," Tommy said, and Danielle wondered what the occasion was.