Chapter 31 - Secrets

One Day Later

Even though her body had only started to show one tell tale sign, morning sickness, there was no doubt in Danielle's mind about it anymore - she was pregnant. This became abundantly clear when she returned to Small Heath and the first thing she did was run to the toilet to vomit. She had hoped that Tommy couldn't hear her from upstairs, but she knew she wouldn't be able to hold onto her secret much longer. Her only problem was that she wasn't entirely sure how to tell him.

Tommy's health had significantly improved in the five days she was gone. He was walking now, his face swelling had gone down tremendously, and his ribs were nearly healed. Though he still had a cut on his lip and cheek, as well as a few bruises here and there, it seemed that in seemingly no time he would be fully recovered.

When she walked into the bedroom the evening she returned, she found Tommy in bed reading. There was no light in the room, except for that of the candle on Tommy's nightstand that produced a nice warm glow. She walked into the room and kissed his cheek before taking off her dress and crawling into bed beside him. She leaned against him as he continued reading. She wasn't sure what to say at first and so she was relieved when he spoke first, "I don't sleep when you're not beside me you know."

"I know. I've missed you. I'm so glad you've improved so quickly."

With a chuckle he replied, "Well when I have the likes of you ordering around every nurse on my floor I'd say I've been in perfectly good hands."

Danielle turned onto her side and put her hand on his chest. He kept his right hand around her back and his book in his left, "It worked, Tommy," she looked up at him, "He accepted, he'll take your men."

Tommy raised his eyebrow as he looked down at her and listened to what she was saying, "You are the most magnificent person I know, giving Solomons a run for his money."

She sat up and kissed him, "There's something else. Something I need you to do, Tommy."

"Your wish is my command," he said as he put his book down and lit a cigarette. He offered her the first drag, but she declined.

"I know, that you know, that Polly has been having a hard time lately. She hasn't been herself. She's been drinking, and partying, and going home with men she doesn't know," she sat up and pulled away from Tommy's chest. "And I know why. Because I know why I talked to an old friend while I was in London, one with access to old Parish records. And Tommy, I found her children. I found your cousins."

Tommy took a drag off the cigarette, "She knows that you did this?"

"Ay, she knows. But, I think it has to be you who tells her. And you who reaches out to her surviving son."

"Do you have an address?"

Danielle nodded her head and Tommy put his hand on the back of her head. She leaned in to kiss him then she swung her leg over his lap to sit across his body. She put her hands on the sides of his face and kissed him again before he leaned over and blew out the candle light.

The Next Morning

Danielle's sleep was abruptly interrupted by her need to throw up as the smell of coffee Tommy had brewed on the main floor wafted through the floorboards and to Danielle's nose. Though she was still mildly annoyed when she exited the bathroom, she decided to put her robe around her, tie it, and head downstairs to see him.

"Good morning," he said as she sat down at the kitchen table in front of him. He had a cigarette in one hand and a coffee cup in the other. He set the cup down on the table in front of her.

"Tommy, tonight, when you get home from your business with Polly I need to speak with you," she said as she subtly yet quickly pushed the cup away from her.