The year before Great Expectations my dad gifted me Pig Heart Boy, which I originally hated, but grew to love.

It was not the same for Great Expectations.

There was something about the ending that made me want to throw the book onto the subway line.

They held hands.

I like to search for a deeper meaning in things, but he says I love you and she says thanks.

There's no deeper meaning in that apart from I wasted my time reading this book.

"I thought we were going to be late." I snatch the book from his hands and place it on the table perfectly placed in the middle of the corridor.

"We are. No thanks to you." Carter rushes down the stairs before me and I follow behind him.

I'm welcomed by three guys in their soccer kit with scowls on their faces. Even Theo.

"I'm sorry. I'm never on time to your games guys." I race to the elevator whilst the guys all begin to mumble things under their breath.

If they wanted me to stay before they definitely don't want me to now.

The elevator ride with the guys is completely silent, unless you include their heavy breathing.

They breathe like they have to do so on command. Like they can't do it naturally.

When the doors open I run to my car. I full on sprint to my car.

I pull my keys out of my pocket and unlock the car just in time for me to practically jump into the driver's seat.

I'm given a twenty second window to regain my breath.

I lean back in my seat shut my eyes and inhale deeply. The air in my lungs feel like it's all been wasted as the guys saunter over to my car.

Levi sits in shotgun and buckles up his seatbelt, not saying a word to me.

"Relax Chetti, we're late for warm ups." Carter starts laughing as he sits in the middle seat.

I turn around in my seat and blink several times at Carter.

"What Chetti?" Carter acts clueless and shakes his head in my face like a literal child.

For a second his face is close enough for me to see the crumbs on his lips. The way his lower lip looks like he gnaws on it at any given moment.

His face is also close enough for me to notice the way he smells.

God.

The amberwood and spice smell.

I try my best to ignore the stab in my chest that I feel. I pull my face away from him and sort of slam my hands on the wheel.

"You aren't late for your shitty game?" I practically shout out the shitty part and quiet down.

I begin to breathe heavily and shake my hands in frustration. "You know what don't worry about it."

I violently reverse out of my spot and speed my way out of the parking lot.

I don't miss the way all the guys try to brace themselves by holding the handles above the windows.

Carter just places his hands on either side of him.

"You do know the warm up is important?" Levi decides to risk it and speaks to me.

"Like the way hiding the body is after murder?" I cock my head in his direction and raise myself shoulders while smiling at him.