82. To Be A Beast Man

1/1 update for today July 29, 2022.

 Harvey climbed a tree nimbly while his cubs followed suit. He instructed them on how to climb soundlessly and quickly and they were doing well. He taught them how to track prey by scent and physical signs. He didn't figure himself the best hunter, but he was sure that the humble skills he knew would help his offspring survive.

Harvey remained in his position as he motioned his large head towards the direction of prey. This time, it was an old doe who was ailing. There was little danger and he allowed his sons to take over.

Sons... he rolled the term over in his mind. He had already gotten used to Drew's vocablulary. It was natural to him now. He watched his eldest silently stalk the doe, while keeping hidden. Dee was doing well and had not yet tipped off his proximity to the creature. Harvey hadn't brought them out for long, but they were picking up skills quickly.

Harvey could tell they had far more talent for hunting than he ever did. They would certainly surpass him in strength one day. He chased the negative comparison from his mind. He was happy for them and proud. The stronger and more skilled they became, the better their chances of survival and finding future mates.

Dee pounced on the unsuspecting doe, but the prey reacted and bolted forward. Dee's claws dug through skin, but he was shaken loose. The doe ran with blood dripping from its wounds, but was ambushed by a waiting Smash.

Although Harvey found this kind of teamwork odd for their clan, he did not immediately discourage it. Sometimes, being crafty would aid them and he promoted flexibility. Still, he will need to make sure they are fully capable of solo hunting in the future. They would not always be able to rely on each other after all.

Harvey glanced above the tree line until he spotted a familiar hawk. Rowan was circling unhurriedly. Although he couldn't make out the other male's features, he was sure that their eyes met. Rowan changed course and indicated that he should follow.

Harvey watched his cubs eat the doe. The meal would be enough for all three of them, but not for Harvey and Rowan too. They will also need to catch prey for Drew and the rest as well.

Harvey felt a smile pull at his lips. The thought of returning to his beautiful mate would never cease to bring him joy. Even now, while he was away, he would occasionally feel the bond stir. He could tell Drew was trying to check on him in that way and it made his heart swell with affection.

It hadn't been a year since Drew came into his life, but it felt like it had been both longer and shorter. It was as if she'd been with him far longer and yet they have barely had any time together. But he was glad, no... He was thrilled, amazed, and awed that he would get to spend the rest of his life with her.

He hurried his cubs along and helped by finishing what they could not. He let the boys lead and watched their backs while reminiscing on the time he first met their mother. Since then, she had both changed and stayed the same. Too him, she still felt like the Drew he met in Camel Hump Valley, but he had witnessed her growth.

She was still sarcastic, but did not depreciate her self-worth as she used to. She had gained self-confidence and had helped him with his own. She used to grumble words when she thought others couldn't hear her, but now she said them directly. Drew still held back some things, but she had opened up a lot of her heart. Most importantly, Harvey could see that despite her worries, she was far happier now. He hoped that he could continue to bring joy into her life, just as she had done for him.

Rowan flew lower to try to catch Harvey's attention. He had found prey, but would not go down himself. He would keep to the sky for now, scouting for any threats. Both prey and predators had begun flourishing once the cold season ended.