10. Bury Me

Originally posted: April 2, 2022. Edited: February 17, 2023.

Hello, dear readers.  Today will be a double update.  This is the first of the two chapters.  Enjoy.

Once my period ended, I was able to act slightly more civil towards Harvey. We hadn't had anymore meaningful conversations and I kept avoiding him. I know I need to propose again if I want to fill my pokedex, but it's way harder than saying 'good morning' or 'goodnight.'

And I underestimated my foe. As unrealistic as this all is, Harvey seems like a real human (beast). He smiles, gets sad, and acts nervous. He worries about the future and me. It's hard to treat him like a capture target in a game when he feels so damn real.

After living with him for these couple of weeks, I can say he is a good guy. Too good. He's the type to let others walk all over him and seems to have a personal grudge against the word 'no.'

The only time he ever grows a pair, is when it comes to serious medical treatment. I'm not sure if I was lucky or not, getting to watch him treat various patients. I do have to say, his serious side is pretty hot. Too bad I can't tell him that. I'd find it easier to skinny dip into an alligator's mouth.

Speaking of difficulties, I had been trying like hell to be creative with our meals. Harvey would get paid with all kinds of meat, so there were always choices. I explained, days ago, that I needed vegetables and fruits in my diet. I really flexed my grey matter trying to remember any useful details about the story.

Unfortunately, I couldn't remember much. Bai used some kind of tree branches and got oil out of them. I had Harvey bring me various kinds of branches and started smashing them up in front of his hut. Both Harvey and his visitors gave me expressions of curiosity and pity respectfully.

"Like what you see?" I couldn't help but ask in a sarcastic tone. Harvey's visitors scurried off while Harvey looked embarrassed, but responded anyway.

"Yes."

Fuck! Losing my center of gravity, I face planted into the branches I was busy breaking. What in the hell did he just say!? Harvey, that wasn't a real question!! How am I supposed to deal with this? Why didn't I teach this guy about sarcasm? Maybe I can fuse with the earth. Please pretend I don't exist.

Before I could complete my new goal of self-burial, Harvey lifted me up and looked at me full of concern. Noooo! You aren't supposed to look at me, dumbass. I don't want to know what color my face is. Harvey's concerned eyes raked over my face and I knew I failed to hide my embarrassment.

"Drew, your face is all scratched up. We need to clean the wounds and apply medicine. It shouldn't scar."

Harvey's in doctor mode. I won't be able to win, but I got to try. I jerked my jiggly mass out of Harvey's grip and ran to the river. I dunked my head under the water and screamed.

Coming up for air, I gasped and planned to repeat. Before I could, I heard someone call my name.

"Drew?" Bai asked, as if I could be someone else.

"That's my name." I tried to sound as casual as possible. I knew my face was burning. I can say I went for a run if she asks. It's technically true.

"Are you alright." Bai questioned, obviously concerned.

"No. Are you alright? I don't see Parker." I really didn't see him. Strange.

Bai wasn't expecting that answer. She nervously looked around before replying.

"I stepped out for a minute. I'm okay. Actually, I had been meaning to talk to you for a while." She added shyly. "Do you have some time?"

Why did it feel like I was getting asked out? Obviously that's not what's happening, but she could have worded that better. Not that I'm one to speak about crappy communication. Guess I'm a hypocrite.

"Yeah." I didn't want to go back yet anyway. I'm sure it won't be easier later, but I'll avoid my problems for as long as possible.

Bai looked happier, and we walked slowly along the river.

"I was wondering... Are you like me?"

She really beats around the bush. How should I answer her? She doesn't seem like the most trustworthy. She seems like someone who would let secrets, that are not her own, slip. Hmm. Decisions, decisions. If she throws me under the bus it'll be bad for her too. I can always drag her to hell with me if it comes to that.

"You mean human? Yeah." Bai tripped on air. After a moment she caught her balance and stared at me mouth agape. Well girl, what were you expecting?

After returning her mouth to where it belonged, she jumped at me, eyes full of tears and hope. Not expecting physical contact, I lost my balance and we both fell and kept falling right through the ground.

Oh come on! My back was just starting to feel better. Cough, cough. Why can't I breathe? Oh, because there is a body on top of me.

"Are you..." cough "Okay?' Bai asked between coughs.

"No!" Cough. I've got dirt in my lungs and you on top of me, how can I be okay? "Off." I didn't wait for her reply before dumping her off. She already used my body as a landing pad so I didn't feel bad.

Wow the two of us seemed to hack our lungs out frequently. Fist time is a coincidence, the second time is fate. Okay, okay. Enough screwing around. We looked up at where we fell from and coughed some more. I was really hoping this wasn't what I thought it was. The two of us traded looks. Bai was almost crying. I won't cry. The moisture in my eyes is from the dirt.

"We should look for a way out." Bai said that like it was a hard earned answer.

"No shit, Sherlock." Okay, that was mean. To be fair, she body slammed me earlier. I can call it even. Maybe.

Bai looked hurt from my comment. I quickly threw a half-hearted 'sorry' her way. We both looked around the cave and eventually came to a space where the light shined down like a spotlight onto something red.