Episode 9 - Mistakes

Start from the beginning

An hour passes. Then two. The voices are taunting me the whole time.

He's abandoned you.

No, he would never.

He's realized what you really are.

No he hasn't.

He see's that you're a monster.

He has not. I am not.

He knows you're a villain.

I am good.

Then why isn't he here?

They're making me angry. So angry that I want to destroy things. I want to hurt people. I want to use my powers. I can feel it bubbling up inside me, making my fingertips tingle. I need some form of release.

Out of the corner of my eye I spot my bow. I want to take it, and I want to use it. But is this really me, or is this the demons' influence?

I need the escape.

The carbon fiber weapon is light in my hands. I nock an arrow and take aim. The patterns in the wood kinda look like faces. The arrow imbeds itself in one. Then another. And another. Then there's a knock at the door.

I whip around as it opens. Jay stands there, hands raised in surrender as my next arrow points at his throat.

"Woah, Tash. It's just me."

Shoot, the demons purr.

I'm shocked by the sudden desire to actually do it.

I lower my bow and drop it to the ground, letting the arrow skid away in the opposite direction. My hands start to shake. What the fuck did I just do.

"Tasha, are you okay?"

I stare at my fingers. They twitch uncontrollably. But is it from fear or from literal pent up energy?

"I . . . I almost killed you."

Jay takes my hands, and I look up into his eyes. They're actually a very nice shade of brown. I can see why Nya so often gazes into them.

"What's going on?" he asks, and when his voice cracks, betraying his fear, I break down.

        ~

Jay's avoiding me. Or maybe I'm avoiding him? We haven't spoken since I cried in his arms two nights ago. I didn't answer any of his questions, nor did I find the truth to any of mine. I just cried and now he won't talk to me. Sure, I haven't left my room since then, but he also didn't seek me out, so that must mean I scared him, right? You avoid those you're afraid of. Civilians used to do it, the pirates have been doing it, and now Jay's doing it.

You're loosing them all.

I can't deny that as the truth. Maybe these demons really are right. Maybe I'm actually meant to be . . .

A buzz on the loudspeaker overhead jolts me from my thoughts.

"All hands, keep an eye out for anything suspicious. The prisoner has escaped," Flintlocke booms.

Jay has escaped? Well, that explains why he hasn't come to me; he's been busy plotting his fight for freedom.

There's a banging at my door followed by Dogshank's aggressive growl, "Get out here and help or you'll be the next one in cuffs."

I let out a heavy sigh. I don't have the energy for this. Would it really be so bad if I was bound to a ball and chain? At least that way I wouldn't be able to hurt anyone, no matter how much I may want to.