Meet Me in the Middle

Start from the beginning

"Cavallo is a tough cookie. He doesn't really listen to anyone but himself but I think you have a strong case. Do you know what you're going to say?"

"Yes, I've been practicing since last week."

"Then you've done all you can do for now. I know it feels impossible but if you start to believe it, it will be."

Prince walks over holding three boxes. He hands us each a box and takes a seat beside me. I open my box and gasp at the five tacos looking back at me. I look over at him angrily and he shrugs.

"I don't want to hear it. You haven't eaten."

"I'm not gonna finish these!"

"Try." His sternness is upsetting. I just want to get this over with. I look down at the tacos and examine them. They seem fine. I lift one to my mouth and take a bite. My stomach relishes this first bite considering I haven't eaten since this time yesterday. The taco is good and the seafood tastes fresh. We sit in silence eating our tacos and watching the people go by. My stomach starts to get full and I close my box. "How many did you eat?"

"Four. You want the last one?" He shakes his head and holds his stomach. I look over at Ronnie who at this point has slumped over in satisfaction. I stand up taking the boxes from their hands and putting them in the nearest trash can. When I return everyone is standing and we begin the walk back to the hotel. Prince wraps his arm around my waist making me smile.

"There she is." He smiles back. "We don't have to do anything else tonight but I'm glad you ate something."

Back in the hotel, I didn't want to do anything. I changed out of my day clothes and into a long night gown. Tomorrow is the big day and I need to rest. I lie down in bed and he comes and lays beside me. Before I know it, I'm asleep.

Prince's POV

When I wake up the next morning, Genevieve is already up. She's already done her hair and makeup for the day but she's still in her pajamas. From the neck up she kind of looks like lawyer. The sleek bun on top of her head and the simple makeup accent the sharpness of her face. Scribbling away in a solid black notebook she seems laser focused.

"Morning." I say with a stretch.

"I ordered you breakfast. It should be here soon." I look at the clock and see it's around 7:15.

"How long have you been up?"

"An hour." In all this time she hasn't looked up from her notebook. The deepest wrinkles are forming in her face from concentration.

"Genevieve mama, come here." She sighs and walks over to the bed having a seat beside me. I sit up and stretch before wrapping my arms around her. I just hold her there for a second with my head on her shoulder and my chest pressed against her back. Together we take a few deep breaths and I can feel her tensions being released.

"No matter what he says you'll still get to go and you'll still get to dance. I'll make sure they know your name. I won't let you get swept aside." She sighs and nods. A knock on the door pauses the moment. She immediately gets up and opens it. A woman offers her a tray. She smiles and takes it before returning to bed.

"French toast, eggs and bacon, fruit salad." She says lifting the lid from the tray.

"This what you had?" She shakes her head.