Chapter 25: Micah

I go to the kitchen and pull out a pan to cook some chicken and she sits across from me. I pour her a glass of bourbon and when I slide it over, she arches a brow at me.

"Come on, I know you don't like wine." I tease and she smirks lifting it to her lips.

"I don't." She says then drinks the whole thing. "Just didn't expect you to give it to me for lunch." She teases and I shrug.

"I like a glass of bourbon with my lunch." I tell her and she nods at me.

"I do occasionally." She informs me, I put the chicken on and get the stuff out for the salad. "I could have cooked." She points at me and I shake my head.

"I like cooking, at least now I can cook for someone." I finish with a smirk and she smiles at me.

"Micah, how did you get where you are?" She asks and I arch a brow.

"Owning the majority of Manhattan?" I tease and she laughs a bit.

"Yeah, that." She jokes, I flip over the chicken.

"My father used to be one of the biggest attorneys here, in Manhattan." I start. "He was the most abusive fuck to ever walk the planet, he would rape my mother, abuse her and me, but he was so experienced by the time I was born he never left a mark." I tell her and she looks at me with such sadness.

"You don't have to." She whispers and I shake my head. I take cherry tomatoes, cheese out and croutons out of the fridge and cabinet.

"You should know a little bit of who you are living with." I point out. "When he died of 'mysterious circumstances,'" I put air quotes around that and she arches a brow. "That's a story for another day, anyway he left me a hefty check with a note saying I was his heir, and telling me to do what he would do with it." I finish and she scoffs.

"You're doing what he wanted you to do?" She asked and I wave a finger at her smirking.

"I'm doing the opposite of what he would do, Kitten." I tell her and she smiles. "I would never do what he did." I shiver and shake my head.

"A story for another day?" She asks and I shrug. I grab the cucumbers, and start cutting them up.

"He trafficked kids." I blurt and she gapes at me. "Women as well." I put a cherry tomato into my mouth like it's just another day of the week.

"Well, what happened to them?" She asked and I smiled at her.

"I put the ones who didn't have families in group homes I bought, the women run them others who didn't want to were freed obviously." I tell her and she arches a brow. "You should know I'm fucked in the head Kitten." I tease and she laughs.

"We are all a little crazy in one way or another." She whispers.

"I like that." I tell her I finish putting the salad together and put one in front of her and put three chicken strips into each bowl. I pour me a glass of bourbon, then grab the ranch and turn to her. "Do you want more bourbon?" I ask.

"Sit, I can get my own drink," She gets up and I walk by her sitting down as she grabs a water. "I should be running from you." She whispers and I arch a brow.

"What exactly do you mean?" I smirk at her.

"Most people here the name 'Skinner' here and run." She sits beside me and I put my hand on her thigh.

"You're not most people." I whisper to her and she shivers.

"Not that I've seen that side of you or anything like that." She mutters.

"I hope you never see that side of me, Kitten." I bite into my salad and she hums when she bites into her. "Why aren't you running?" I ask.

"Because I don't want to." She spits out. We eat the rest of our meal in silence as I revel in what she just said. Once I finish, I take my plate to the sink and she walks up behind me putting hers in. "Micah." She whispers and I turn around facing her, seeing her looking at the floor.

"What is it?" I ask and she looks up at me.

"I just want you to know I'll never hurt you." She whispers and I feel my heart flutter, she walks up to me wrapping her arms around my neck.

"Kitten?" I quip and she kisses my neck.

"I just want you to know that." She says then leaves me standing there, watching her walk to her room.