Chapter 46

Trigger warnings
Seizures
Fighting for life
Death

I heard Tiago's horrid voice singing.

'I'm still holding on to everything that's dead and gone

I don't wanna say goodbye coz this one means forever

Now you're in the stars and six feet never felt so far.

Here I am alone between the heavens and the embers

Oh it hurts so hard

For a million different pieces

You took the best of my heart

And left the rest in pieces.

Im still holding holding holding on...' He screamed.

'Shut up!' My voice crackled. I tried to wake up but my limbs held me down. My eyes blinked open and I came face to face with Tiago smiling like an idiot. He gave me some water to drink as he called everyone else into the room. 'Never sing again; you're a special case of tone deaf.' I groaned banging on my ears.

He simply laughed. 'She's back baby.' He jumped from the hospital couch and did a little dance. I smiled watching him celebrate. I had survived. Apparently I'd been unconscious for more than a day.

Riker was the first to speed into the room and jump on me. He pulled me in a bear hug. I laughed. 'We're happy that the surgery was a success.' They cheered. 'Thank you for fighting.' Dad said adoring me with tearful eyes.

My eyes landed on a face I hadn't seen for way too long. Riley. 'Riley.' I gestured for him to come in for a hug. He rushed to my side and gently wrapped his hands around my frame. I laid my head on his shoulder and relaxed. I felt safe. I felt protected.

Visiting hour was over and they left me to rest. Riley was the only one who stayed behind with me.

'Have you tried reaching out to mom?' I asked him. He shook his head and lowered it. 'All I have are her socials. It seems like she's working and partying as usual.' He told me.

'As usual.'

'Do you want to try?' Before my surgery, I wasn't keen on making ammends with her. She'd abandoned us and hadn't reached out even when dad decided to. The woman had made her own choice.

But after the surgery, I suddenly felt grateful for everything. Grateful that she'd carried me for 9 months. Grateful that she took care of me during my childhood. Maybe she had reasons for leaving and not returning after all these years. I was ready to forgive freely.

Riley passed me her contact and we tried calling. No reply. I called her two more times to no avail. We even tried an Instagram call, Snapchat call and facetiming. She wouldn't reply. Maybe she really didn't want us in her life anymore. We agreed to stop there and try reaching out later.

A few hours later, Riker came back to my room with a package. I could smell the food from miles away. 'How are you feeling my love?' He asked sitting beside my bed. I assured him that the pain wasn't as intense as before the surgery.