Chapter 28

'She's still breathing.' I felt her pulse. I analysed her and there was no bullet wound anywhere in her head. So where's the blood coming from? The bullet had missed her head and hit her ear helix.

With both Megan and Doc out, Megan was surely going to die. Riker stared at Jacob suggestively.

'I have a little medical experience.' Jacob replied humbly.

'You're our only option.' Riker told him.

'I believe you'll do great.' Tiago seconded. His eyes were puffy as he held blood covered Megan in his hands.

A stretcher carried Megan into the medbay. Riker only allowed Jacob to be in the room since we didn't know who the moles were. Riker, Tiago and I stayed behind figuring a way to wake Doc.

'How's it in there? Over.' Riker asked Jacob.

'There's a lot of blood. I need doc here.'

'He's still unconscious.' I told Jacob.

'Then splash iced water on him. Hurry, we don't have time.'

'We're trying.' After numerous attempts, doc arose in a panic stricken frenzy.

'My daughter...' Garcia wept.

'Is alive.' I said before he could collapse again. It took Garcia a few minutes before he could recollect himself.

'She needs you in there.' We told him and he bolted into the medbay. Riker, Tiago and I stood on guard by the door protecting ourselves and one of our own. Doc and Jacob helped each other to stop Megan's bleeding and to stabilise her vitals. With Doc there, we had undoubted assurance that she was going to be okay.

Ringggg. Riker's encrypted mobile went off. He looked at the screen mouth ajar.
'I swear this lady has superhuman powers.' He chuckled. I felt jealousy brewing in my chest as he picked up the cell and put it on loudspeaker.

'Tell me something good.' An elderly lady's voice hoarsely commanded.

'She's alive and getting attention from your husband and Jacob.' Riker reported.

'Who's Jacob and why's he touching my daughter?' She scolded. I gasped.
Was he talking to Megan's mom?

'Lady...you ought to actually thank him because he tended to her while your sweet darling was fainting.'

'No thanks, my ego is too precious to be tainted.'

'It's beyond me how you manage to joke in a situation like this.' Riker scoffed playfully.

'Humor is always the last resort. Bring my daughter to Fort Auric, the military base of operational forces in Cleveland.' Her commands were strong like those of an army general.

'Roger that.' Riker jokingly did a small salute before cutting the call.

The Truck seized flying in circles and set out for Fort Auric. After Megan's condition was stable, she was put under intensive care. Doctor Garcia was quick to make me his next patient. He notified me about the results and patterns collected by the nanobot in me.

'Your wound does not heal naturally as it should. Fibrins in your body must form a wire mesh to close off the wound but any fibrins that reach the wound are dissolved by the black gas. Any white blood cells that reach the wound to kill bacteria are at war with abdek cells in the gas. The gas itself causes no symptoms but it combats any defence that the body provides.' He told me.

'I'm guessing that's a bad thing.' I regretted sleeping in biology class.

'It is. It means that it's a losing game. Your wound itself causes pain to your body. Your body is ready to fight for you but the gas is waiting to stop your body's attempts at healing.'