Chapter 26

I woke up traumatized by Riker's call, his last words resonating in my mind like a city bell. 'No mercy.' He had said, yet all I could see was an angel of a man. It was either I'd read the situation wrong or he was a really good actor.

Interrupting my thoughts, Riker walked back into the room. He smiled at me pretending to be a good ass man. My suspecting eyes landed on his nonchalant ones. You're hiding a whole different world from me you two faced Mafia corrupted bastard. Although I was angered by his pretence, I smiled sweetly.

'I have something to tell you. It's been weighing on me for a long time.' Riker limped towards my bed. His back hadn't completely healed yet he was now active on his feet using his wheelchair only when necessary.

'Yeah what does thy have to tell thee?' I mentally facepalmed. What a way to be slick. I wanted him to tell me but I wasn't ready to see him any other way than the arrogant depressed businessman.

'You might hate me for this.' He twiddled with his thumbs.

'I'll be the judge of that.'

'I've been in contact with Doctor Simmons and recently, he made me aware of Eldon's situation... Eldon is in a critical condition and his chances of waking up have significantly reduced. Their saying he won't make it unless another miracle happens.' Eldon spoke on the brink of tears.

Hearing about Eldon for the second time made it all the more real. I just couldn't believe that he was going without a proper goodbye. The dam in my eyes cracked as I thought back to our argument.

'Maybe when you get time go get a life.' The last words I said to Eldon rung in my head like a painful echo. I needed a second chance with him, he couldn't go like this. Riker pulled my sobbing face into his chest and rubbed smoothly through my hair.

'Shh I'll pull as many strings as I can to ensure Eldon survives.' Riker promised and I simply nodded. I rested my face against his chiselled body feeling my heartbeat rise at the proximity. Stop, this isn't time for feelings. No matter how much I chastised my heart, it kept beating for the twisted man. After all, his hands were wrapped tightly around my body making me feel the safest in a scary world.

I gently pulled away and saw him staring down at me. We locked eyes and everything around us faded.

'If you keep looking at me like that I'm going to kiss you.' He smiled.

'Don't make promises you can't keep.' I challenged my eyes not wavering.

Riker stared at me as if I had lost a brain, I had. How could I want to play the devil's tango with a mobster like him? He laughed slightly before placing his hand on the side of my face. He caressed my pale skin leaving trails of blazing flames. Inching closer to me, he gently rubbed his thumb across my lips. His slightly rough skin rubbed on my silky smooth lips erupting electric shivers through my body.

His thumb was quickly replaced by his lips. He gave me a light peck then smiled against my lips. It had only been a second when he pulled back a bit. He met my eyes and bit the side of his juicy lips erupting butterflies in my abdomen.

He smiled again before our lips met in a wild fervor. My morals flew out of the window as I did not just resist him, I kissed him back. I could feel his hard chest against my lack of one, his heart pounding against mine. My hands ran through his black silky hair to which he exhaled deeply and hoarsely.

My mind blanked as we devoured each other like it was our last moment. Riker gently caught my bottom lip between his teeth and tugged lightly before letting go. Our lips mingled as he pulled me closer into him.