Whoa Surprise Oneshot

One of you has asked and I shall deliver. So hi, this is probably a surprise. Btw this isn't a love story, it's just about the brothers. I hope that's okay.
—————
I stumbled through the thick forest, tripping over surprise roots and vines that trailed the ground. I had just fought a mysterious creature which had been terrorizing this village, finally bringing a stop to it's reign of terror.
The village had cheered when I returned, pronouncing the creature dead. They would no longer have to fear it taking their lives.
It wasn't all good for me though. The creature had wounded me, slashes and bruises all over my arms and legs, and a very deep cut at my chest. I would've done it all again though, the award was great enough for me. I would just get some help from Blue and Ink.
I didn't have much further, being about a mile away from the front entrance of our headquarters. The village had given me some medicine and wrapped up my wounds, praying for my safety as I departed. But it still stung, it hurt to breathe. Every breathe felt like a battle, my exhale was shaky.
But it's fine, I'm almost home. Then I can get help from all of my friends, it's fine. Then we could discuss these creatures, because they're not like anything I've ever seen before. And I've seen a lot.
   That's when I heard rustling, like something was near me. I froze, listening as I pulled out my sword. Ink had made it for me as a gift, and I will admit it was beautiful. A light blue and gold, it was beautifully decorated and heroic, but deadly.
   And then a twig snapping, so it wasn't just the wind. This isn't good. There's never anything in these parts.
   A creature had suddenly jumped out at me, it looked similar to the one I had fought. That wasn't good, I'm already this injured. I narrowly dodged its attack and prepared for battle. How did it find this place? This isn't good. I got into a defensive stance, lowering myself and preparing to slash it with my sword.
   It jumped at me again and I was able to wound it, except it had torn some of my bandages. It's claws were sharp, they could cut surprisingly deep.
   Tired of constantly getting attacked, I went into offensive mode. My attack did good damage, but that just made the thing angrier. It jumped me again and again, we were both inflicting severe damage.
   That's when it cut at my previous wound from the first creature, and it started bleeding all over again. My eyes widened, the pain overflowing all of my senses all over again.
   I don't wanna die, not to this. I still need to save my brother, tell him I'm sorry. Protect the innocent, not let anymore people die. It can't end, not like this.
   That's when the creature dropped, something attacking it from behind. "Blue? Ink?" I called, getting dizzy. All of the stress was getting to me.
   "Nope, idiot. Why were you about to die to that thing?" A voice said, coming closer. I couldn't believe it. Nightmare had just saved me?
   "What... why?" Was all I could say.
   "I..." it seemed he had also realized what he had just done, and was trying to come up with a reason as to why, "...I have to be the one to kill you! Yeah... now go home, nothing else is here, you're safe." He said, looking around. A big, foolish smile spread across my face.
   "Eh? Why're you looking at me like that?" Nightmare asked, I don't think I've ever looked happier. "Whatever, just go home, brother- ah, Dream." Then he left.
   Although he left, I couldn't have been happier. He saved me and called me brother. I could count this as one of the best days of my life, hurrying home to go tell Blue and Ink.
   But one question plagued my mind, why?