Chapter 41 - Sea God

As the water closed in over our heads, Shannon created a bubble around my head, pulling me along in her wake

As the water closed in over our heads, Shannon created a bubble around my head, pulling me along in her wake. Not simply shifting to an animal form was odd, but inspiring confidence in Shannon's abilities was important. Surprisingly peaceful under the water, no boat noise disrupted the gurgling sounds of our passage and the clicking of dolphins some distance away. Shannon created a light glow around us, as she propelled us through the water towards the nearest section of the Great Barrier Reef, twenty kilometres offshore.

Before we'd gone half the distance, a pod of bottlenose dolphins found us. Curiously, they dove around us, making Shannon laugh at their enthusiasm.

"Skinny fins want to swim? Want to play?"

"Go fast? Dive with us!"

"Yes, we'd love to swim and dive with you," she said as they nudged our hands with impatient dorsal fins.

Grabbing on, we shot through the water like bullets, swerving and diving. When one dolphin tired, another took its place.

"Oops! Sorry, love!" Shannon apologized the third time she'd not managed to keep the bubble in place, due to a sudden swerve of my dolphin. Fortunately, I could hold my breath long enough for her to get it back in place again.

"Are you sure you aren't doing it on purpose?" I accused. 

Shannon grinned. "Maybe?" 

"Dangerous game, darling. You'll never know when I'm going to pay you back," I warned, loving her playfulness.

"Oh, look at me shaking in my non-existent boots."

Norns, but I loved her sass.

The brilliant colours of the reef came into view. We let go of our dolphins, thanking them for the game. They chittered happily, telling us to come play again as the pod left to go eat. I swam over to Shannon and we started to explore.

Huge mounds of brain coral and staghorn coral jutted out of the nearby ledge in and amongst bright pink soft corals. Vividly coloured fish contrasted with silver schools of fish as they darted in and out of large anemones and coral branches. Yellows, purples, greens, pinks, and even blues; there were so many colours, and so much life surrounding us. Shannon wove between canyons of corals that had grown up into tall ridges, building on dead coral of the past.

It was fantastic seeing the wonder on her face as she explored. Striped angel fish and a bright blue school of surgeonfish led her down a deep canyon. She pointed to something moving deeper in the canyon when a dark shape to my left caught my attention.

My pulse leapt as my gaze sharpened. Oh bloody fucking fantastic! 

Instantly recognizing the enormous black horse-like kelpie as it darted towards me, I conjured a blade to toss at its eye. It was one of the few vulnerable spots, but the damn things hunted in packs. There had to be more.