Chapter 16 - Genetics

I was practicing throwing lightning bolts at targets when a large man dropped from the sky to land near me with a loud boom

I was practicing throwing lightning bolts at targets when a large man dropped from the sky to land near me with a loud boom. It threw off my aim at my latest target, a pyramid of rocks.

"What the hell, man!" I yelled as I turned to look at him.

Even with an unfamiliar long mane of fiery red hair and two braids framing it, I knew his face.

"Oh shit," I breathed with trepidation. It was Cirrus Helsbearth, Thor Odinson, Loki's brother.

"Shannon!" his voice boomed.

Oh double shit. He knows me.

"Uh... Hi Thor, or do you want me to call you Cirrus?" I asked.

"Thor is fine, unless there are mortals around. You have led my brother and I on a merry chase all over Midgard, trying to find you."

Loki really was looking for me?

"I wasn't hiding, Thor. I've simply been learning my powers and adjusting to being a goddess. This is all completely new to me. I wasn't aware Loki cared where I was or was looking for me. We only knew each other for two days, after all."

"I don't understand, Shannon. You are his soulmate. It's destroying him not knowing where you are, if you are okay. He's terrified for your safety. How can you do this to him?"

Thor sounded disappointed, and I couldn't help feeling defensive, crossing my arms. "Loki never said anything to me about being his soulmate. I don't even know for sure what that is."

"She is what?" Isis shrieked as she joined us.

"Oh! Hi Isis. Been a long time. How are you?" asked Thor, turning towards her.

"Did you say she is Loki's soulmate? Are you fucking kidding me? That conniving, worthless, husband-killing bastard has a soulmate?" Isis shrieked, coming at me with hands outstretched like talons, fury twisting her features.

I was shocked, frozen by her reaction, and unable to move.

"I'll kill her! He doesn't deserve a soulmate! He can experience my pain!"

Thor stepped between us. At more than seven feet tall and broad of shoulder, he was so large I couldn't see around him, but I could hear him.

"Isis! I will not let you hurt Shannon to get back at Loki. She is innocent, and it wouldn't bring Osiris back!" Thor boomed.

"Get out of the way, you overgrown lightning rod. I'm going to kill her." The venom in Isis' tone had tears filling my eyes. I couldn't believe it was the same woman who'd helped me these past four months.

"Sorry Isis, but you know that's not going to happen." The next thing I knew, he swung Mjolnir and knocked Isis back.

"Heimdall!" he shouted, as he grabbed me with one arm.