Chapter 40 - Family Vacation

"Wow, so beautiful!" I told Elise, as we walked out onto the beach from their vacation home in Cairns

"Wow, so beautiful!" I told Elise, as we walked out onto the beach from their vacation home in Cairns. The first few days we'd spent visiting with them in Sydney, seeing some of the tourist sites and getting to know Thor's family. 

Elise and I had hit it off immediately, and I knew why Thor had fallen in love with her. Funny and warm, she was no pushover. When she scolded Thor for getting their kids all riled up before bed or for giving them junk food, it had me smiling. Elise didn't hesitate to tell him her mind. And it was all kinds of cute the way he turned into a mushy teddy bear around her. I had blackmail material for years.

"Definitely," Elise said, grinning. "Coming up here this time of year is the best. It's perfectly tropical and warm, but not too hot. Why deal with chilly winter nights in Sydney when I can be here instead?"

"Yeah, I would be too!" 

The golden sand was warm under my feet, with a light breeze coming in from offshore, lifting strands of hair off my neck in a fluttering caress. 

"Should we be keeping an eye on them?" I asked, gesturing to the twins, as they took off splashing along the shore and into the green-blue water.

"Growing up around water, we've made sure they are strong swimmers, nevertheless the kids know the rules. They aren't allowed to go deeper than their knees without one of us swimming with them."

"The water looks fantastic. I'm looking forward to jumping in myself." The breeze was helping, but my skin felt sweaty and sticky. I was avoiding using my powers in front of Elise and the kids.

"You want me to cook the steak tonight, right?" Thor called out to her. The guys were bringing in the groceries from the SUV to stock the house for our weekend, while we let the kids burn off pent-up energy from the flight and car ride.

"Yes, babe!" Elise yelled back. "Put the beer, cider, and whiskey in the fridge too!"

"Already done!" Loki shouted back.

I laughed. "Of course, they took care of the alcohol before the food!"

Elise shook her head in amusement. "They have everything under control. Why don't we join the kids in the water?"

"Now that sounds like the best idea I've heard all day!"

We walked back to the deck and shed our layers. Quickly tugging off jean shorts and a t-shirt, I had a black bikini on underneath. It was weird to look down and have my abdomen appear flat when I was actually twenty-eight weeks pregnant. There would be no hiding this belly without Loki's illusions. A whistle pierced the air, and I turned to see Loki smiling, eyes roving over my body in a heated caress.

"Checking me out, love?" I teased.

"Always, darling. Don't worry about the illusion. It will hold in the water as well. Just don't go forgetting and flop on your sexy round belly!"