Chapter 31 - Science Class, Asgardian Style

Over the next week, I continued to train with Mist for part of the day

Over the next week, I continued to train with Mist for part of the day. The rest of my time was spent with Loki, teaching me the fundamentals of Asgardian science and building on what I knew already.

"Since your field of science is living things, what do you know about Midgardian physics?" Loki asked, when we sat down for breakfast in the garden terrace off the bedroom.

"Well, I took the usual year of introductory physics during my bachelor's degree. But I didn't need additional training beyond that for my area of science."

"What did they cover in that year?"

As I took a bite of the fluffy mushroom, spinach, and cheese omelette, I thought back. My first year of university was seventeen years ago. Damn, that was a long time ago now.

"Hmm... Newton's laws of motion, momentum, and gravity. We covered Einstein's theories of relativity."

Loki fed me a bite of bacon, and I nipped his fingers before kissing them and smiling.

His lips twitched, amused at my playfulness. "What about quantum physics, subatomic particles?"

"Yeah, we had an introduction to that, as well as electricity and magnetism."

"Have you heard of string theory?"

"Heard of it, but I don't recall the details."

"It's the idea that the subatomic particles Midgardian physicists are trying to identify and understand, like electrons, gravitrons, photons, quarks, and others, are not actually individual points, but rather ribbons of energy, or strings, that have different orientations and vibrations."

"Okay, yes, that sounds familiar."

"These vibrations occur along different dimensions, not just the three spatial dimensions and time that are easy to perceive. Some of these other dimensions can be considered like a webbed field that the strings attach to, such as one they have named the 'Higgs' field that gives mass to particles. Depending on which types of dimensional connection points they have, their orientation and specific vibrations influence the characteristics of the different ribbons. For example, photon ribbons that have no mass do not connect to the Higgs field dimensional matrix."

With a wave of his hand, Loki made a silver grid appear in the air, floating in a single flat plane. He added a green grid floating above, then a blue grid below, so it looked like three parallel flat grids of different colours.

"If these are three different dimensions, each flat like a piece of paper, if you were also flat and tiny, you would only be able to perceive one of these dimensions, right?"

"Yes, I'm following you." When he added a miniature of me crawling along one of the grids, I laughed.

"Now imagine there are strings that connect the different dimensions." Gold strings shot up, breaking the plane of all three floating grids he'd created. Some of the strings were simple straight lines that went through all three grids. Others, he'd made into loops joining the grids, and still others were wavy or irregular.