Chapter 34 - Spiderling

"Where will the bifrost set us down?" Shannon asked, while putting on stiletto heels

"Where will the bifrost set us down?" Shannon asked, while putting on stiletto heels. We were about ready to leave for the red carpet premiere of "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness".

"In the garden of my flat in London. There are no taller buildings around. No one can look down into my gardens. It's why I chose that flat." 

Plus, it's the most protected place for us to set down, given the safeguards I've worked around the building. Although I didn't tell her, my paranoia had gotten a thousand times worse since I'd discovered she carried our child. I couldn't save Sigyn and my unborn daughter, but by the Norns, I was not going to let anything happen to Shannon and our son.

With a hand out to help her stand, I took in the view of my beautiful goddess. Damn, I was such a lucky bastard.

Long slender limbs were shown off to perfection in royal blue chiffon. Cut high, a sexy leg peeked through the slit of the empire-waisted gown, before it curved over the swell of our child. Enraptured, I could spend hours gliding greedy hands over her soft skin and the miracle of our growing baby. Of course, that assumed I wasn't distracted by those sumptuous breasts, so nicely displayed by the square neckline of her gown.

With a groan, I fought the impulse to strip her clothes off and take her right back to bed. She was safe here, safe in Asgard. Every time I took her to Midgard, it was a risk.

Still, I'd be with her. And Thor was joining us. She was gaining skills daily.

It would be safe.

Finished with my lingering perusal, I conjured my gift behind my back. "You are absolutely ravishing, darling. It needs something, though." With a flourish, I presented the velvet box I'd been hiding, and held it for her to open.

Laying on the black lining was a platinum necklace with a large sapphire teardrop pendant, surrounded by diamonds embedded with protective spells. It was paired with a set of dangling earrings with a smaller version of the sapphire teardrop surrounded by diamonds, and an anklet of diamond and sapphires that included a tracking spell. I was not losing her again.

With Shannon wanting to join me for events on Midgard, I'd first delayed her leaving as long as possible, until I couldn't come up with a reason to deny her. Then, after panicking at the thought of her vulnerability, I'd finally strategized ways to keep her as protected as possible.

Short of tying her to my bed.

Yeah, I didn't think she'd let me get away with tying her to my bed for days on end. Especially if I wasn't there to seduce her.

Constantly, I was torn between my need to protect her, and knowing I couldn't cage her, or she'd leave me. Yggdrasil's twisty limbs, but I loved my strong-willed, independent soulmate. Yet that very independence also terrified me.

Sigyn had also been independent, and I couldn't let history repeat itself. That loss was still a hole inside me, and while I'd forever mourn the daughter I never got to know, what I'd felt for Sigyn was a pale shadow compared to the interwoven tendrils growing between Shannon and I.