Chapter 21 - Payment Comes Due

I set us down on the driveway of my house in Deep Cove, just outside Vancouver

I set us down on the driveway of my house in Deep Cove, just outside Vancouver. Hard to believe it'd been four months since I'd been home. Nothing seemed to have changed with the towering hemlocks, western red cedars, and undergrowth of rhododendrons and ferns surrounding my house, giving it privacy from both the street and neighbours.

Loki cupped my cheeks. "I am so proud of how you've mastered your abilities. I can't wait for you to show me more. For now, though, show me this beautiful home of yours." He kissed me, smiled, and then took my hand as I tugged him forward with excitement.

We walked up the grey brick driveway towards the two-story residence with its grey stone and slate grey siding, ocean blue trim and shutters. At the frosted glass of the front door, I keyed in the four-digit 'ORCA' code to unlock the house, telling Loki, even though I knew he could teleport inside if need be.

As we stepped onto the hardwood floors of the front foyer, I watched him take in the sights. An open central staircase curved upwards to the three bedrooms and office on the second floor. To the left, a bathroom, laundry, door to the garage, and the family room beyond. To the right, a living room with a southwestern style area rug, cream coloured couches, Navajo sand art, and a large metal Kokopelli silhouette on the wall seemed to draw his eye. He stepped into the living room to get a closer look, walking over to the Kokopelli silhouette. Lightly, he ran his fingers over it, a little smile on his face.

Moving away from the artwork, I followed him through the living room and into my library, with its floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, fireplace, and black leather couch.

"We seem to share a love of stories," he said as he browsed the titles.

"Yes, I noticed you have your own library in your flat."

"It's not as extensive as the one I have on Asgard, but yes, I enjoy it. Whether stories are written in a book, visualized in movies, spoken on the radio, or told sitting around a campfire, I love a good tale. Wouldn't be the God of Stories if I didn't." He laughed.

"True."

Entering the large open concept kitchen and family room, again, he was pulled over to the west coast First Nations artwork on my walls. There was the painted drum, with Coyote prominently featured in the centre, several paintings and line sketches of salmon, a facemask carving of Raven, and another yellow cedar carving of Raven bringing the Moon to the people. Lightly touching each one as he circled the room, he turned from the last one to stare at me with a stunned look of wonder.

"These are all... these are all me... your home is decorated with art of me."

"The Kokopelli as well?"

"Yes."

Walking over to him, I cupped his cheek, looking up into his green eyes as his arms wrapped around me.

"My mom told me the stories from a young age. These particular gods were always my favourites. Clearly part of me recognized you, has sensed a connection with you, from as early as I can remember."