Chapter 23 - Here Be Dragons

After making our way over the Second Narrows bridge into Vancouver, our first stop was at Smith Rare Books on Cambie

After making our way over the Second Narrows bridge into Vancouver, our first stop was at Smith Rare Books on Cambie. Loki spotted the special edition Nineteen-Forty-Two 'The Gods Are A-Thirst' by Anatole France. Although he said it was the title that attracted him, leafing through the pages, it was about the French revolution. Perfect for my brother. The clerk kindly gift-wrapped the book for us, and we set off for Chinatown. Since it was so close to the bookstore, only half a kilometre away, we walked.

At the Pacific Village Mall, we found a colourful silk scarf I knew would be to my sister's taste. I picked up a gift bag and tissue in another shop to complete the purchase. On our way to the Tea Leaf Emporium, we stopped at a tiny little store with various odds and ends. Buried on a back shelf, I found an old Hong Kong Style cookbook, with a blend of English and Cantonese recipes. It was exactly the kind of thing my sister-in-law would love. The elderly shopkeeper wrapped it in tissue with ribbon, and I added it to our purchases.

Exiting the store, Loki shifted me away from the street side, moving me to his right as he glanced behind him.

"What's wrong?"

"We may have someone following us. Just make sure you keep your hand on my arm in case we need to teleport," he said.

"A fan of yours, looking for a photo or autograph?"

"No, this feels different."

It was only half a block until we reached the tea shop. Opening the door for me, Loki again glanced behind us down the street. I didn't see anyone that looked like they were paying particular attention to us, but I trusted his instincts.

I picked out a gift box with the teas I knew my mom preferred, and added it to our other purchases. The hair on the back of my neck was prickling. But whether I was picking it up myself, or if I was getting it from Loki, I wasn't sure.

When we left the store, instead of opening the door and letting me go through, Loki opened the door, then held my hand as he went out first. Abruptly halting in the entrance, he tucked me behind him as the door closed on my back.

"Tezcatlipoca, you ugly fucking bastard. What brings you to my part of town?" a deep rumbling voice asked.

"Quetzalcoatl, it's been a long time," Loki said carefully.

"Please, it's Ao Guang now. We must keep up with the times, yes? And you haven't yet answered my question," the deep rumbling voice demanded.

Loki inclined his head. "Just shopping for Christmas presents, actually."

"Really? You? Celebrating a holiday dedicated to another god? Now why does that sound unlikely? I see no purchases," the voice sneered.

I pushed the bags into Loki's hand, and he brought them out in front of him.

"It's as I said, just shopping. I'm keeping up appearances with the local Midgardian traditions."

"Well I learned the lesson to not believe your lying tongue, trickster! The mortals revered me as a hero until you showed up with your insidious mischief! Who is there behind you?" the voice snarled.