Chapter 42 - Monster Book of Monsters

"How soon do you need to head to London?" I asked, as I dried our bodies with a flow of warm air

"Pretty much right away, but first I want to go with you to see Healer Moja, to hear how our son is doing," Loki said as he bent over to kiss my bare, rounded belly.

"I'd like that." As he talked to our son, I smiled and ran my hands through his hair. "I need to go to Vancouver to deal with my position at the university." And maybe visit Lynda. My stomach churned at the lies I'd have to tell. It probably wasn't a good sign I was dreading seeing her in person. Shouldn't a friendship of this many years be more enjoyable and not feel so obligatory?

Loki straightened up at my words, taking my hands in his. "To give up your career is hard, I know. But you have so much here, with learning to master your skills, royal duties, and our son. If you want to pick it up again, later on, I'll help you figure out a way."

Pulled from my thoughts about Lynda, I frowned. "Why do you expect me to give up my career? With you figuring out how I can access email, text messages, and internet, there is actually a lot I can do from here, as long as it doesn't require real-time communication like phone calls or live streaming."

"Even with that, you'd still need to travel back and forth a lot. It's just not practical right now when our son is going to need you."

What the hell? This is so not what I need to deal with right now. Sharply pulling my hands from his, I crossed my arms. "No, I don't accept that, Loki. There are alternatives, I'm certain."

His lips pressed together, and annoyance surged down the bond. "Do you not want to be here for our son? Aren't you excited about being a mother?"

So much for supporting my successes. How typical. Just like my ex. "Of course, I'm excited about being a mother. That's got nothing to do with it." 

Although I was trying to keep my temper, his lack of understanding had me gritting my teeth as my pulse pounded in my temple. But I didn't want to turn this into a fight. Loki had no right to tell me what I could or couldn't do. He might be ancient in Earth years, but I wasn't going back to the woman-as-chattel times. If that's what he thought, he could just pull his head out of his misogynistic ass right now. 

There was no way I spent all those years fighting for my career, only to toss it away to be his gods-be-damned baby factory. Gods. What the hell is wrong with me that I fall for these types of selfish males?

Loki held up a hand to stop me from saying anything further. "Let's discuss this later when we've both calmed down. I'd really like to go to the baby check-up with you. Okay?"

Fuck him if he thought this was all okay. "Fine."

"How's this?" Loki asked, as he conjured a comfortable blue tunic, pants, and soft shoes for me, and his usual boots, black leather pants, and green tunic for himself.