Chapter 51

"Ah! Here comes Princess Athanasia de Alger Obelia."

  Every invited guest quieted their voice upon noticing the princess' sudden arrival. It was odd to see the princess being dressed in something so... simple. They assumed she would be wearing something grand. After all, wouldn't she want to appear presentable with her father, the emperor, on his birthday?

  Athanasia shifted glances at the nobles who were looking at her. Some of the ladies were gossiping to one another in whispers. But most of them were confused. They would never expect her to enter the ballroom with two random knights trailing behind her. She felt like she was being treated as a criminal for some reason.

  Sitting on the throne made of gold was Claude who glared down at her with a cold gaze. Wearing a white and blue formal uniform with a red royal mantel, he looked as handsome as ever.

  "Oh, look at you acting like a cold-hearted emperor here," Diana said in the most sarcastic voice possible

  "Oh, look at you acting like a cold-hearted emperor here," Diana said in the most sarcastic voice possible. It was obvious to everyone that the woman would not be enjoying this chapter one bit.

  Claude glanced at her for a brief moment before glancing down at the toy hammer she was holding. He silently gulped but he still managed to put on a calm face. An angry Diana is a terrifying Diana.

  "Wait until His Majesty opens his mouth," Roger said with a straight face.

  "Oh, I'm waiting alright," Diana replied.

  'Ah,' Athanasia thought. 'It's dad...'

  "... Er, Princess?"

  Athanasia heard one of the knights whispering to her.

  There was an uncertain expression on the knight's face, meaning that he was also confused by the way Claude was treating her so coldly. Still, he had to do his job. "Pardon me, but... You should kneel."

  With slight hesitation, she slowly kneeled down in front of her own father. 

  Diana was getting even more restless after seeing her daughter kneel down before her own father

  Diana was getting even more restless after seeing her daughter kneel down before her own father. 'I know that people have to kneel in front of someone as powerful as Claude to show respect... But it's just wrong to have her on the floor like that when all eyes are on her,' she thought. If she remembered correctly, wasn't Athanasia the type to be nervous in front of large crowds?