Chapter 32

"Princess."

  As Athanasia walked away from Ijekiel after dancing with him, she saw Felix approaching her from afar. She noticed that her father was nowhere to be seen. "Where's my dad?" she asked him.

  Felix held Athanasia's hands as gently as he could. "His Majesty has left for a moment on some urgent business," he told her. He looked down at the princess before smiling like the proud uncle figure he was. As he led the princess to another area of the dance floor, he did not take note of the princess' anxious expression on her face.

  "We never found out what his Majesty's business at the time was, now that Sir Felix said it," Jennette said. During the party, she did notice the time Claude was walking away from the ballroom and into one of the hallways. He didn't seem to be in much of a hurry at the time so she knew for a fact that it was not something so urgent.

  Lucas snickered. "I have an idea of what his Majesty was doing."

  That caught everyone else's attention, including Claude. Though, judging by Lucas' grin on his face, he might be joking.

  "... Should I ask what you're thinking of?" ijekiel asked warily.

  "You should really not. If you want to know what I think what the emperor's when he's away from everyone...," he scooted a bit closer to the silver-haired boy and whispered into his ear, "Let's just say that it's something incredibly inappropriate."

  "Huh?"

  "Diana, may I kill that disrespectful warlock?" Of course, Claude had heard the ridiculous statement Lucas made. It was more of a declaration than a whisper to everyone else and he was not going to ignore such impudence. He noticed how Anastacius was trying to stifle his laughter while failing terribly, which caused his anger to rise.

  "C-Claude..."

  The man turned around and was blankly staring at Diana who was also trying her best to not laugh. 'You can't be serious,' he thought. He sometimes wondered why he even fell for her in the first place. And sometimes he wondered why whenever Diana acted so immature at times, it only made his love for her grow stronger. "... What is it?"

  "Let's just ignore what he just said and just pay close attention to Athanasia on the screen."

  'Well, Claude is a busy man.' Athanasia halted in her tracks as she felt a chill down her spine. 'Could it be?' Just then, she remembered a certain scene from The Lovely Princess. 

  In the scene where Roger Alpheus would introduce Jennette to her father at the party, in front of the novel Athanasia's eyes.

  The thumping of her heart slowly became erratic until she felt Felix's grasp on her hand tighten. Looking at him, he smiled reassuringly at her. That alone calmed her down immediately. "Don't worry. He'll be back shortly. This is your debutante. He will probably stay until the end."

  "You always know what to say to make her better," Diana said. She turned her head around and gave him a thumbs up. "As her mother, I approve of you being her second father in case Claude here makes her upset again for any reason."

  Felix, as flattered as he was, froze in his seat when Claude glared at him. He swore he would never get a proper break as long as his majesty was upset with him. "I... I appreciate your kind words, Lady Diana," he weakly said.

 I appreciate your kind words, Lady Diana," he weakly said