Chapter 9

"Lilian York. Long time no see," Claude greeted the nanny.

"Blessings and glory upon the sun of the Obelian Empire," Lily greeted as she curtsied in front of the emperor.

The emperor, the princess and her nanny were in the throne room.

'I'm scared...,' Athanasia thought.

'You have every right to be, princess,' Ijekiel thought. 'I'd be scared if I have a family member who's able to kill me without a second thought.'

"I haven't been able to pay enough attention to my one and only daughter due to my duties at court," Claude said. "But still, Athanasia has grown into such a healthy child. The credits belong to you.'

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Lily said with relief.

Lily repeated what the Lily on the screen said with a bit of sarcasm.

'Don't make me laugh! It's not 'haven't been able to pay attention'. It's you neglecting me! You completely erased me from your mind!' Athanasia thought angrily.

Diana glanced at Claude. "If I were in her shoes, Claude, I'd be upset about it as well," she told him. "Don't give me that look," she added.

Claude frowned slightly. "What look?" he asked.

"That look of frustration mixed with annoyance."

"However, from now on. I will be looking into the princess' well-being," Claude said. "There will be no need for you to worry."

"I have many reasons to worry, Your Majesty," Lily bluntly said.

Everyone had to agree. Before Athanasia's arrival at the Emerald Palace, Claude didn't look like a father who'd care much for his own child.

Athanasia's eyes widened. 'What?' she thought.

The princess looked up to see Claude looking at her, his lips curled slightly upward.

'Did you just smile?' Athanasia's right eye twitched. 'Did you just smile at me?'

"Yes, I just smiled," Claude said. He was still a person, of course he could smile.

'Pay me no mind,' Athanasia screamed internally. 'Thank you for ignoring me my whole life this far! Thank you for not being aware of my existence!'

'That's a sad thing to be thankful for,' they all thought.

Anastacius had to refrain from chuckling out loud. He was thoroughly entertained by the princess' overdramatic thoughts.

'Please be so kind and continue to do so in the future!'

"Starting today, Princess Athanasia will be treated as a proper princess."

Jennette smiled slightly. 'Well, she turned out to be an amazing princess, that is for sure.'

'But you didn't acknowledge me as your daughter,' Athanasia thought. 'In the novel, Claude admits that he never saw Athanasia as his daughter.'

"That's sad," Felix frowned. 'If only His Majesty was a nicer person in general.'

'So, what on earth are you playing here?'

Lily hugged Athanasia tightly. "It's okay, princess," she told the girl. She was slightly trembling. "It's alright..."

Athanasia looked uncertain before hugging Lily back. 'I hope so too!' she thought.