Chapter Thirty: Month 4-5

Month 4-5

Wren update;
-Still smiling and laughing, her personality is getting big and we know who to thank for that.
-pushing up from her tummy on her arms when doing tummy time.
-sit up with support
- Roll over (apparently like an Olympic sport) as I found her rolled halfway across her nursery yesterday.
- reach for things she wants (she wants a lot)
- Eyes now 100% 'Alberta and Helena' icy blue, they get lighter by the week.

Teddy update;
- ridiculously hot
- A smile that can disarm anyone
- Cheek and Charm for days
- has gone to training in Connecticut (we miss her) but she's killing it.
- thank goodness for technology, she calls a lot.
- talking to Wren in Greek 80% of the time so they can begin to conspire against me soon, without me understanding a word of it.

My update;
- Sleeping for eight hour stretches again
- longing for a girl in Connecticut
-see above
-see above again.
- living day to day until next week when she comes back again.
-yes I've got it bad, I confess.
- Starting to apply to the school district to start work again in the fall term. (I say again) it will be the first time I can finally use my degree.
- feeling like a strong and empowered mama bear.

***
The training camp is two days in, there are twenty girls competing for the final twelve spots on this seasons roster and I needed to get my place. It already looks like one of my favourite team mates, Leah is about to be waived, and the rookies this year, seven of them are absolute fire, this year I couldn't even predict the final twelve.

"Teddy good job there" our coach Lesley calls "I see you've been keeping up the gym... those arms are strong... and you could take a leaf from her book Avery. Teddy has three years on you but she's stronger" she says to the rookie beside me.

I stand back and sit on the bench as the next few girls stand up to be assessed, a whistle sounds, the shriek of it would make any normal person jump but we were accustomed to it now as it echoed through the large court. I run my hands down my bare arms, the bright orange jersey and shorts, my everyday wear again, hopefully for the summer so I could stay near Harper and Wren. I was dreading the day that I may be drafted elsewhere and have to face the reality of this situation.

"You did great there" Avery says sidling up to me, her hands reaching down between her legs and taking a swig of the bottle of water there. Avery was a young rookie from Minnesota , same age as Harper at twenty one. She looked like she belonged on a beach somewhere but she most definitely belonged 'physically' on the court. because under her surfing girl exterior, she was a demon with a ball.

"Thanks" I return "but it's not from the gym that my arms are stronger this year... so don't go hard on the weights"

She looks sideways, a smile twitching on her lips "steroids" she deadpans.

I let out a laugh "no... an almost five month old who loves to be carried around. I am literally doing weights all day with her, and clearly her breast milk is like cream because she is chunking up beautifully"

And I'm doing it again. I'm taking about Wren as soon as someone starts to talk to me.

"You have a baby" she asks wide eyed.

I shake my head "no she's not from my womb... she's my... my... she's my best friends baby. I sometimes forget that she's not even a little bit mine because I mean fuck genetics"

"Sounds like you love her" she says as we look back to the court and the bustling energy of four on four.

"I do" I confess and my thoughts are of Harper, because I do love her, and Wren, but I was most definitely in love with Harper and that was evident every time I touched her or we kissed. I couldn't hide it and it now felt more and more bizarre when I described her as my best friend.