Chapter Nineteen: We have a problem

"Ben" I greet stepping out of the car.

He stands from the steps and smiles politely "little sister" he returns "it's good to see you" he acknowledges.

I take off my shades and place them over the neck of my t shirt. "Is it" I ask "after so many years" I add.

"Finally... it is" he says honestly.

I walk up to him, my brother, whom I've not seen in seven years and I don't know whether to hug him or just shake his hand but I don't have to because he steps forward and wraps his arms around me "I know it's been a long time coming Wills but I did miss you... it just took me a little while there to get over you stealing my wife" he says.

I feel my stomach flip "Ben I'm so sorry" I beg and I squeeze him tighter.

"Willa it's okay" he says with a smile letting me go and holding my forearms "Allie and I, we weren't meant to be, I see that now. I've seen it for a long time... long before we even split up. Allie was never truly happy, not ever and as soon as I met Jennifer and felt the genuine connection, one filled with love, I realised just how unhappy I was and how unhappy Allie was in our marriage because with Jennifer it's wonderful. Its easy and I know she loves me... a lot like Allie loves you"

"I'm still sorry that I broke your trust and our bond... it should never have been like that Ben. I wish more than anything you hadn't have got hurt"

He smiles affectionately "I accept your apology Willa... and I hope you accept mine for the way I've treated you and Allie. I know I could have been nicer, many times, and I appreciate all you have done for Harper. Im hoping she will come back to Utah at some point after the baby arrives"

"You think she will come back to Utah?" I ask.

It's the first I had heard about that. I had assumed she would stay on the east coast where she was settled.

"Well I'm hoping so, she can rent the apartment Jennifer and I bought as an investment a few years back... and we could support her with the baby. I know it would do her good to get back to church and I've heard through the grapevine that Ethan has plans" he says standing back on his heels, brushing his jaw as he looks around and checks out the house "love the house Willa it's very you" he says with a chuckle.

I stand and mull over what he's just said and it doesn't sit right with me, what does he even know about Ethan and what should it matter what his plans were?.

"Ben" I ask.

He turns back to me "yeah" he asks.

"Ethan has what plans exactly" I ask.

He shakes his head "not my place to say or interfere with my daughters love life... he's keen to court her though I know that much and he's a good kid Wills. He's  from the church and keen to go back, he has a job set up for next year in Utah when he graduates but it's all I can share without saying too much"

"Ben how do you even know this kid" I ask.

He walks over to stand next to me "My friend from college, Joshua. He's his oldest boy"

"Oh yes Allie mentioned something about knowing his mom... Ben I don't like it"

He looks to be perplexed "don't like what" he asks.

"People making plans for Harper that aren't hers" I say.

He shakes his head "it's not like that Willa... it's up to Harper what she does with her future. Nobody would ever force my child to live a life she didn't want I swear"

I frown "Ben it's sounding a lot like strings are being pulled behind the scenes here and I love you but I won't have Harper become like Allie or I and become a puppet to what everyone wants and not what she does. Please I beg you if there's something going on, put an end to it"