Chapter Eleven: Theo?

A week later Teddy returned with Jay for dinner, a little Friday night get together. It was the first time I had seen her since the scan, and she didn't wait one second as they entered the house before finding me.

I was out back lazing on the couch by the fire pit, on my side, my hand nestled on my belly whilst I read a book with the other. My Friday nights were pretty lit weren't they?!

"Look at you" she says in a sweet voice "she's grown again.... You've grown again"

I place the book down and hold out my hand from where I am lying.

She smiles affectionately and walks over, taking it and falling down beside me. "I'm sorry about last week" she says regretfully "I honestly haven't stopped kicking myself for missing that moment with you both" she says caressing my bump under her soft palm.

I run my hand down her arm "honestly stop... you weren't planned to go with me, it was a last minute ask and it's okay"

"But Ethan made it" she says almost mocking his name.

I raise my eyebrows at her "Ethan was at work when I had to go it's not as if he had to try to get there, he was already there"

"I know it's childish but can I like hate him a weenie bit for always seeming to be there" she asks holding her fingers in a pinched grip "a weenie bit surely"

I laugh "Teddy stop" I say and she smiles and lays down on her front beside me

"Can I talk to her" she asks.

I smile and nod "of course" 

She leans down, her lips hovering but an inch from my flesh, the tickle of her breath almost unbearable "Hi Wren, it's me, your aunty Teddy. I have a whole wardrobe waiting out here kid, I got sneakers, I got clothes, I got treats for days... I got you girl I got you.." she says with a little laugh as I do the same.

"You got her stuff" I ask.

She looks up to me from the belly and smiles "yeah of course... my spare room is starting to look like a baby store"

"That's cute Ted" I say looking at her far too affectionately, wanting nothing more than to reach out and run my hand over her dark curls and cup her adorable face.

"Hey Harps? She asks "I can't see you and not mention it" she says looking up-to me mischievously.

I lean back looking up at the stars briefly before gathering myself for her announcement, she laughs at my apprehension.

"What" I ask finally rolling my head back to gaze at her twinkling eyes.

"So I have literally searched for Ethan on every social media. I've stalked that boy from his middle school photos to his updated college profile and let me just say... he is adorable... pretty straight... likes a little weed I reckon but nothing awful about that... has bad taste in clothes but that can be changed..."

"What's the punchline Teddy because I know you aren't giving him a five star review for nothing..."

Her face lights up and her dimples couldn't pop more "Well I think it's a rather cosmic joke..."

"What is" I ask.

She laughs as she thinks about it "that his name is Ethan BISHOP" she says slowly and purposefully exaggerated.

"You are being courted by a BISHOP" she says again laughing huskily.

I roll my eyes "Teddy I know his name, and yes I have considered how absolutely perfectly fucked that is... like karma is laughing at me for leaving the church and sinning beyond belief"

"No I think it's just a sign" she says sitting up.

"What is it a sign of?" I question.

She places her hand back to my belly and smiles as Wren moves against her palm " that he is not the one for you" she says softly and her eyes meet mine "Harper Bishop?" She whispers " I don't know Harps... would you ever be able to say it without laughing" she says eyebrow raised with a teasing smile.

I can't help but feel my lips tug upward "Good thing I've never even considered it then" I state.

Her eyes widen slightly at that "You don't like him" she asks.

I look back and consider my answer. I wouldn't lie to her. "I do like him, perhaps more than a friend ... but it's not something I plan on acting on"

She sits up straight like that revelation hits her in the chest and she stands up flustered "let's go in to eat" she offers reaching down for my hand. She pulls me back up to her, slightly unbalanced as she reaches for my hips and pulls me to her, to steady me. The seconds that follow are silent, way too close for comfort, our eyes suddenly looking over each other a little too intensely before the back door opens.

Jays voice booms out "Dinners ready Theo"

I look anywhere but at her as we jump away from each other.

Theo? Teddy hated that shortened version of her name, literally her pet hate and yet here Jay was using it, probably on the daily, how she hadn't cut him loose by now, especially if he had been saying that, I had no idea. Perhaps Jay was being used, as the perfect human shield....