Chapter Twenty Two: Christmas miracle

"Hi" Teddy says coming through the door laden down with gift bags, a winter hat on her head with a red bobble on the top making her look extremely cute.

"Hey" I say trying to stand from the couch with my hand pressed to the small of my back.

It had been four weeks since the Thanksgiving day disaster. Teddy and I had seen each other once a week for my appointments which she still insisted she take me too, and we were actually fine, there was never any awkwardness and I didn't think there would be. We naturally just slipped easily into each others orbit and it was as if none of it happened. I knew I had hurt her, but I made sure she felt every day that I appreciated her and her place in our life. I kind of kicked myself that I took Ethan's words and felt them so deeply but I was triggered by the word 'controlling'.

Ethan, I haven't seen since the dinner with his parents three weeks ago, it was nice and pleasant but I think he has finally learnt to cool it slightly, he messages every other day but he doesn't come over and make it overbearing. I think he's waiting for me to invite him, but honestly I'm huge, fed up and ready to pop. I haven't got time for nothing. 

Teddy placed the bags under the tree and comes over laughing as she watches me squirm trying to stand "honestly Harper please don't ever sit on the couch home alone..." she says helping me to stand, her hand around my back.  "You could get stuck here for hours"

I right myself beside her, we are a little too close, but with a bump between, it's much far enough. When Wren vacated I wasn't sure how I would cope with being that close to her. I had never been pressed to Teddy in my life, not without a bump keeping me a little further away.

"Why don't you just stay here with me until I pop then" I ask.

She walks into the kitchen and grabs a drink of water, she takes a large gulp "oof I needed that" she says taking a breath "Harper I would love too... but my management wouldn't have it. I am contracted to a million brand deals and events ... I have two days until I'm due in New York for a club event and if I wasn't there... they would kill me, it's worth a lot of money, so don't go into labour then okay" she asks.

I raise my eyebrows defiantly "I'm taking that as a personal challenge to go into labour half an hour before your flight " I say teasingly.

"Of course you are" she throws back and her dimples pop.

I pick up a chocolate bar mama has left out for me and rip into it like I've not eaten in months. I close my eyes as the chocolate hits my tongue and let out a satisfied moan "mmmm that's gooood"

"Well I havnt heard that in a while..." she notes.

I snap my eyes open as she laughs and I throw another bar at her. She unwraps it and takes a bite and I see the way she wants to do the same but she holds it back and it makes me laugh "come on then... I want to hear it" I ask.

She smiles "hear what" she asks with a mouth full of chocolate.

"Your whimper" I say with a wink and she coughs a little chocking on the mouthful as she tries to laugh.

"Harper" she chastises "stop it" she begs and she walks over and wraps her arm around my shoulder "let's watch a Christmas movie and have hot chocolate" she suggests "I'm sure Allie and Wills won't be late"

Mama and Willa had gone to a Christmas concert and to do a little last minute shopping but were due back in a few hours.

"I can't believe there's nothing better on, it's Christmas Eve for goodness sake" Teddy says lying beside me on the couch.

We were flicking from one channel to another trying to settle on something. I had pulled my top up to let the bump breath. I had cramps and pains all day, and I felt hot and bothered. Teddy had placed a small bowl of M&Ms on top of the bump which she would casually dip into and place in her mouth.