Chapter Sixteen: Dinner

Month seven to eight, the month it all got a little heavy, a little more uncomfortable and I became a hot headed, hormonal mess, crying one minute, feeling enraged about nothing the next.

It's safe to say this month I did not call Teddy for anything, In fact I would dare her to come and visit, because nobody would handle the switch in personalities, not even poor Ethan at work. I wasn't my best, let's put it that way but it was surges of hormones, they really were whipping my butt, and horny became a word I couldn't relate to anymore. I would rather go to a gym and punch a punching bag for half an hour whilst steam came out of my ears than have sex and I didn't know what would come out of my mouth next. I really wished someone had locked me away this month of the journey so that everyone would still like me by the end of this pregnancy.

"Hi" Ethan greeted coming from the back of the store.

I was stood restocking a shelf and as he walked over I could feel my frustration brimming just from the sound of his hard soles on his shoes, clicking on the lino floor. I adjusted my neck a little, it killed me today and I ran my hand over it before reaching for another box to place on the shelf.

"Did you hear me" he asked unsure.

I turned and nodded "sorry I wasn't being rude" I return "I mentally said hi... I just forgot to engage my mouth"

He smiles, a kind smile "how are you feeling" he asks "nearing month eight right"

I frown slightly "Ethan I have zero mental ability to converse right now. I'm sorry I'm just ... I'm exhausted" I reply honestly, and I smile so he doesn't think I'm completely awful.

"It's okay" he says "Your mom just invited me for dinner tonight... we can talk then. Get some rest when you get home" he says cheerily, and he touches my shoulder before heading back to the back of the store and out of sight.

A dinner?! A Friday night dinner... with Ethan... could this be worse?! All I wanted was to take a bath and curl up with a book.

"Hey honey" mama called as she came back from her lunch break.

"Ah, just the person I wanted to talk to"

She frowns and walks over "what is it"

"Mama ...dinner with Ethan" I question, annoyed and widening my eyes.

She reaches out and strokes my belly before looking up to meet my annoyed stare "Harper it's the month of thanksgiving ... it's time to practice... being... nice"

I bite my lip "mama I am nice... I am just so fed up right now. I feel exhausted all of the time. I have nothing to give... and holding a conversation at dinner will be painful"

She cups my chin "just eat and listen to everyone else you don't have to entertain anyone"

I frown "who is everyone" I ask curiously.

She smiles "Teddy is over with Jay, they were in town for something so Willa invited them to dinner too"

"Mama" I moan "I honestly didn't think my day could get worse... and then bam" I say slapping my hands together and making her jump "Jay Jones enters the fray"

"Harper, go take your lunch break... I think you may be hangry" Mama observes squeezing my arm and disappearing into the back.

***
The bath calmed the internal rage for half an hour and then even that got uncomfortable.

I managed to get out of the suds and dry myself off but as I returned to my bedroom I heard Teddy's voice carry downstairs mixed with the deep tones of Jays.