Chapter Ten: Halfway to Wren

I sit out in the yard, on the lounger, wrapped in a blanket with a cup of warm tea in my hands. It was five am when I woke up up in Teddy's embrace and although I felt like I never wanted to release her, it is not the time to let those thoughts consume me.

I have one job, to bring my daughter into the world, in the happiest and healthiest space, her mama should be focused solely on her, and I would be.

"Hey" Willa greets appearing from the back door with a steaming mug of coffee. I can smell it before she even gets close, another weird symptom of pregnancy, super sensory powers.

"Yesterday Allie couldn't get you up for love nor money and today you are up with the birds" she says sitting on the lounger beside me, dressed in her casual, coach sportswear for work, her hair pulled up in a pony tail.

I sip from the tea and we both watch the birds fly about in the trees. "I couldn't sleep... Wren is already waking me with the dawn before she's even appeared, and Teddy decided the couch wasn't the bed for her last night and slipped into mine... she is so hot blooded I woke up sweating"

"I remember that from our camping trips... she's like a little hot water bottle isn't she" and she smiles "even as a three year old she always ran hot"

"I forget sometimes that you've known her that long" I say.

"Yes ... the Tedmeister and I go way back... way back to the start" she says nursing her coffee and pointing at a little bird that comes down to the bird feeder "isn't that beautiful" she whispers.

I look on and sigh, it was. "Do you think Jay will last" I ask.

Willa looks to me with the sudden change of topic. "No" she says confidently "they never do".

"Why do you think she does that... never settles on anyone" i ask.

Willa looks out over the yard in thought "I'm not sure where it came from, because her family are wonderful, she's had great role models for parents, they are still in love after forty odd years. I kind of hope it wasn't me" she whispers that last bit and I frown.

"Why would it be anything to do with you" i asks curiously.

Willa turns back "I don't know... I know she loved Morgan and I, and it came as quite a shock when we ended... she could never understand why I couldn't change my mind on kids and just go back to her. I think that perhaps made her reevaluate her ideas on love and commitment. She seems to cut anyone loose before they fall for her, and she them, like she would do just about anything to avoid what Morgan and I went through. So I can't help it, to wonder if it was us that shadowed her adult view of relationships"

"Willa I don't think that can all be on you"

I place my hand on her arm as she looks a little solemn at the thought. "Teddy sees how happy you are with Mama... you are literally the happiest and most in-love couple I know. You are wonderful role models for us, surely that is a case of true love and having it find a way, and to commit to the one you love and be quite blissful."

"True" she says leaning across and hugging me "I love you Harps" she says before releasing me with a smile "and you little bird" she says looking at my swollen belly.

"I think you may have popped over night" Willa gasps as I move the blanket aside.

We both look down and laugh "I think you are right" I say standing up and running my hand down my stomach, a curve most definitely visible under my vest. I can't help the grin that fixes to my lips, a grin I would hold onto all day.

"I see her later for the anatomy scan" I remind her.

Willa nods "Yes, do you want me to come with you" she asks.