Chapter Twenty Eight: New York New York (part two) *

"I will take Wren up now honey" Mama says reaching for her whilst she's on my lap.

I scoop her up and place her into mamas arms "Actually I will come with you and get her ready for bed, that way I won't feel like I'm completely abandoning her tonight"

"You've been with her every day and night of her life Harper... hardly abandoning her to take one night to yourself" mama replies looking to me with a loving gaze. "It's good for you" she reminds me.

I did feel slightly guilty that I wasn't about to spend my night sleeping and catching up on some much needed rest. The thing was I needed a catch up with Teddy... much... much more.

"Willa can you tell Teddy I will be back down soon" I ask.

Willa nods "yes when she's finally finished up those interviews I will let her know... then I will be up too I'm exhausted... both emotionally and physically...what a night"

"Thanks Willa" I say "Quite"

Mama kisses her cheek "see you up there" she says and we leave through the double doors.

***
I walk back to the table and Willa is stood with her back to it, her arms crossed with a big smile on her face "You did it" she says as she opens her arms and hugs me. "I knew it kid... I knew it"

I look to where Harper was sat and frown "where did they go"

Willa takes the award to have a look at it close up "Harper will be back, she's just gone up with Allie to sort Wren out for the night" she says before looking at me curiously. "why...do you miss her" she asks with a teasing smile.

I nudge her "I'm going to go and chat to the girls quick" I say, nodding to my fellow WNBA players who are waving me over.

"Okay" she returns, squeezing my shoulder and handing me back the award "I'm going up to bed...so I will see you later, be good won't you, don't bury Jay in a shallow grave for Theo'ing you to the world will you" she says teasingly.

"Tempting Wills... tempting... but I have something else more important to attend too tonight..."

Willa winks "oh I bet...night" she says as she walks away.

Out of the crowd Morgan appears like she had waited for Willa to leave, she reaches out and pulls me into her arms as affectionately as Willa did "I thought your speech was amazing and I didn't think I could love you more my dimple popper... but I do"

I step out of her embrace and place the award down on the table "I love you too Morg... dare I ask how that went with Wills?" I ask.

She frowns a little, her fair brows knitting together "Would you believe after over a decade it still hurts...?"

I can see it in her usual happy eyes, they are whirling with the nights emotions like a stirred paint pot. "I'm sorry" I say softly.

She smiles gently "it's okay... it's just, it is what it is, but I want you to know Teddy that Willa and I loved each other very much. It was never that we didn't, that tore us apart. Willa removed herself because she couldn't offer me the one dream I couldn't live without achieving ... to become a mother... and that was extremely brave and selfless of her to realise that I would never be truly happy without it. She let me go, when she never did want too, and I her, begrudgingly"

"I know" I say solemnly.

She cups my chin "do you Ted... because I worry you see it all a little wrong, and I don't want you to be afraid anymore... that if you let yourself fall in love you will end up like me... she wouldn't leave you"

I feel myself gulp to realise who she means as she lets me go. "Morg... I can't talk about that"

She  frowns "Teddy ... the fact you can't says it all" she whispers.