Chapter Twenty Four: Welcoming committee

"Oh my god" Mary says coming into the family room. I am sat with Wren suckling away, breastfeeding.

"Her dinky little feet" Erica says coming behind her, both with a look of absolute joy and wonder.

I smile and wave as they sit either side of me on the couch. Erica squeezes my knee and Mary lightly strokes the little tiny foot that has escaped the confines of the white onesie.

"Oh Harper, congratulations" Mary whispers "she's perfect" she says and tears fill her eyes "and the tribute to Helena in her name... oh I balled for a whole day over that"

Erica nods "I can attest to that... she was a mess"

I place my spare hand on Mary's "We all miss her... it just feels like it makes her a part of her, to have her name there"

Wren falls away from my breast, asleep, and I tuck my bra back over and secure it before lifting her up and over my shoulder, my hand slowly tapping her little back.

"Would you look at that pout" Erica observes joyfully with a smile as she watches a milk droplet fall from Wrens little pink lips and into the muslin there.

"Willa is just unpacking the car for us... where is your mama" Mary asks.

I nod upwards.

"Mama and Teddy are just making the guest room up"

Mary's eyebrows shoot up and I smile knowingly at her "say it"

She shakes her head "no idea what you mean" she replies coyly.

"Oh Mary do behave" Erica chastises as she runs a fingers down the back of Wrens soft little ear.

"I just ... I love Teddy" she muses

I nod "so do I"

Mary smiles again, a knowing smile  "Okay" she says softly "well I just wanted you to know... that we do... incase you wondered" she says drawn out with a hell of a lot of hidden meaning.

"I've never met anyone who didn't love her" I say and then I catch myself "well perhaps one person but I think he met Teddy's protective side, he's never truly met the Teddy we all love"

"God who was that" Erica asks.

I hesitate "Ethan" I say after a pause.

"ohhhhh" they both sing as if they know exactly what I'm talking about.

I know then that Willa has been chatting about him, I wasn't sure if she liked him, she never told me either way, but it seemed she had perhaps shared his and Teddy's altercation with Mary and Erica.

"Well... we don't know Ethan so we couldn't judge" Erica says staring at Mary as if to say "don't say another word"

I look between them " I don't know why everyone is concerned. I'm not dating anyone, in fact I refuse to date anyone before Wren is a year old, at-least, it's important to me to be her mama before anything else and I can't even imagine having time"

"Unless the person you are dating lives with you... I mean that would make it easy" Mary suggests casually.

Erica gives her a death stare before grabbing her by the hand "let's go make a pot of tea" she suggests strongly and they leave me sat shaking my head.

"This family ... honestly" I say shaking my head "they just love a meddle"

"Hey" Mama says coming back in and taking the spot Erica had vacated "how is my granddaughter doing?" She asks.

I look down at her and smile "she isn't fussing over the milk... gotta be a first that her belly didn't ache" and as I say it I curse myself because her little features all screw up and the cry that calls out is not for me, it is for Teddy, and she comes running from god knows where and appears arms spread "come on Little bit" she says as she places her over her forearm, a new trick she had mastered in baby wind release.