Chapter Eighteen: Lamaze

I stand at the sink washing up the morning dishes and looking out into the yard, and the hands that snake around my bump make me jump a little, but of course I smile recognising them, and the scent of her, "Hi" I say softly turning my head slightly to the dark curls brushing my cheek.

"Hi you two" she says smiling "gosh I missed you both"she says nuzzling against me.

I pick up the cloth beside me and dry my hands before turning around as she moves away.

"We missed you too" I say picking up my drink of water and taking a sip.

Teddy was stood there leaning on the breakfast bar, wearing black denim jeans that fit tight and an oversized grey hoody, she always looked cute so it was not a shock to find myself just smiling at her quite uncontrollably.

"Are you ready to be between my legs for an hour this afternoon" she asks eyebrows wiggling.

I throw the cloth at her and laugh "Theodora we have to talk about this...flirting"

She looks at me as if I'm a party pooper "Harper... I meant in Lamaze... obviously..." she says eyes rolling as she sits up on the stool.

"I know what you meant Teddy... but I also know what you were implying..." I say cocking an eyebrow.

She smiles, her dimples deepen and she picks up an orange from the fruit bowl and slowly starts to peel it, the peel unwinds in one long strip and I find my eyes fixated on the way her fingers move before snapping my eyes away.

"How was your last day yesterday" she asks.

I walk over and lean against the breakfast bar "Good. I will be glad to finally put my feet up and get the nursery ready"

"Shall I help with that this weekend" she asks.

I shake my head "my dad is coming tonight. He wants to put the crib up and help... he kind of feels like he's let me down and wants to make it up to us"

"He should feel that, because he did let you down" she says matter of factly and she places the orange segment in her mouth.

"I know you like to cut and run Teddy but I can't do that. I'm not made that way, when I love people I can't ever let go no matter what was said. I have to forgive for my own sanity. Wren is arriving imminently, as my pelvis likes to keep reminding me" I flinch at the ache there as I say it and lean sideways to try and relieve it a little, the weight of Wren pushing down, head lowering, to soon come out of it. The thought alone making me wince.

"Harper I don't expect you to cut and run from your dad I just meant he should be down on his knees apologising for missing almost your entire pregnancy and making you feel as if the only way to fix it was marriage... which by the way all comes from the cult ... you know that right?!"

"Teddy don't start on the church I don't want to argue with you today. I'm trying to zen over here" I say holding my fingers up in pincer grips and taking deep breaths.

"I won't... you know my thoughts" she replies.

I take another deep breath and close my eyes as I take a moment to ground myself in the zen position.

The smell of citrus fills my nostrils and I flinch a little to feel her fingers slide up my jaw, my eyes flick open to find her so close. I gasp a little, her warm chocolate eyes look me over affectionately "you look so cute" she says softly.

"Teddy" I whisper.

"Yeah" she whispers back as her thumbs caress my cheeks.

"What is this" I ask.