Chapter Six: A little Songbird

"Teddy's here" Willa called from the window "on a motorbike...with a guy" she questions out loud "did Teddy mention a new boyfriend" she asks my mom and I as we stand to come to the window.

"No" we both confess

I look out and sure enough, Teddy removes herself from behind some hugely tall guy, she takes off the black helmet and shakes out her wild and beautiful dark hair. The guy kicks down the stand and gets up himself, removing his helmet too.

"Willa is that not Jay Jones...the guy who plays for the Celtics" mom asks clutching Willa's arm.

"Allie it is..." she squeals excitedly.

Yep that was him, the hottest player on the team, beautiful caramel coloured skin, shaved dark hair with lines shaved into it, lightening bolts either side of his head above his ears.

"Ted is bringing an NBA player to dinner" Willa adds taken aback "god he's huge" she observes wide eyed.

I watch out front as the conversation becomes a blur around me, Jay Jones sweeps Teddy off of her feet, his insanely long arms picking her up, her petite frame nothing against his giant status, she wraps her legs around his waist and I frown as he leans down to her beaming smile, her dimples deepen as he kisses her.

Oof, that did something to me, it kind of hurt a little. I look away and return to my mama in the kitchen, who is busily making the last of the dinner.

"I wonder how long that's been a thing" I muse, trying to hide the way it made me sulk.

"No idea, you know Ted she's always got an admirer hanging on her arm" mama replies busily dropping dried pasta into boiling water.

"Or her legs wrapped around a BFG" i groan childishly.

Mama lets out a laugh and turns to me "careful Harps that kind of sounded like you're a little jealous"

"I'm not" I deadpan "I'm as far from jealous as a girl can get"

Lies.

"Sure" she returns playfully "you know it's normal to get a little jealous when your friend brings home a significant other, because when they do the time together disappears and you know it's going to be a case of third wheeling instead"

"Gee mama" I let out an exaggerated breath  "that really cheers me up..."

She ruffles my hair and opens the refrigerator as the front door is pulled open by Willa, who has appeared again with her phone, she's on FaceTime to Calliope

"Callie look who our Ted brought home" she says delightfully as she flings open the door.

Teddy is embarrassed and looks away, Jay laughs, it's Deep and booming. Callie and Willa tease her a little as she enters the house and Jay walks over with his hand outstretched as my mama takes it and smiles "so good to meet you" she says kindly.

Jay smiles, the most broad and cute smile, and I see why Teddy may like him, he was quite charming.

"Harps" Teddy greets excitedly as she crosses the room quickly, arms outstretched as she pulls me firmly into her arms "I had no idea you were home" she says happily surprised and she holds my shoulders firmly as she leans back and looks at me " I thought you were on your pilgrimage or something" she teases.

I roll my eyes "It's a mission Theodora...as you well know"

She flicks her eyebrows up and down and takes me in playfully "are you okay" she whispers taking my arm and taking me to the side as Willa and my Mama enjoy Jay Jones being in their kitchen.