𝟐𝟖

Martha couldn't believe her plans had been tampered with. If she had known this would happen, she would have locked Anna away sooner. Though it wasn't something she could do carelessly as Taylor wouldn't be pleased if he found out.

She sat in her room, pondering on what she would do now. There would be a change of plans since she couldn't sit here and wait for Serena to wake up.

She opened a drawer in her room which was locked by another key she possessed. Once she opened it, multiple bottles that were unlabeled sat on top of unknown letters and papers.

Perhaps she was overacting as she picked up one of the bottles containing extract from Atropa Belladona; the same poison she had used on Serena.

If she was lucky, the doses had already taken effect and there wouldn't be a doctor in London that could save her.

To be besides, she was already weak from her stab wound, Martha could only hope.

She placed the bottle back into the drawer and locked it.

What Martha hadn't count on was for Taylor's early arrival that evening. She was in the dining area eating her meal when he suddenly appeared and was welcomed by some servants.

He subconsciously questioned their uneasiness but pushed it to the back of his mind.

One thing about Martha was ensuring she kept her unfair treatments of Anna a secret. She timed him perfectly so he wouldn't find out and was capable of causing mass destruction if a servant uttered a word about it to him.

Today was different as business in London had temporarily eased when one of his important investors fell ill. He would be home for a bit which could be Martha's undoing or to her advantage.

When he entered the dining area, Martha perked up at his unexpected arrival.

"My dearest, I didn't know you would be returning so early. Is everything okay?"

Taylor removed his top hat as he sat at the table whilst a servant came to pour him a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

"Nothing to worry about. Just a minor inconvenience which will be resolved soon. Mr. Smith's recovery speed is nothing to be questioned."

He thanked the servant for his glass and waited as his plate was fixed for him.

"Where is Anna?" He asked when he noticed her empty seat.

"She's feeling unwell. No worries, I made sure to send up a plate for her." Martha lied and calmly ate her food.

She was trying her best to ensure nothing she did came across as suspicious to her husband. Just one mistake could ruin everything for her. She needed to make sure that Taylor could trust her. Losing his trust meant losing everything.

Even so, Taylor was already quick to believe her as he started to eat after a servant prepared a plate for him.

"Any updates on Serena's condition?" He asked as he started to dive into his meal with the cutlery.

"She's back at her estate last I heard. Someone came for her."

Taylor nodded. "I would have hoped to meet them so I could ask for their forgiveness. It was on my own property and land that she was hurt."

"You are too kind." Martha stated with a smile.

It would be the cause of your death bed.

They continued to eat as Amelia, Bella and Dorothy brewed in one of the empty rooms.

"We can't allow her to keep doing this." Bella stated, frustrated at their uselessness.

"You know how she gets when she's locked away. I can't bare it anymore we have to do something." Amelia added.