𝟎𝟏

"Women are fine for her own satisfaction alone. No man will admire her the more, no woman will like her the better for it." - Jane Austen

July 1837

"She is the only daughter of the Gregory household. Their wealth is beyond ones imagination! " Dorothy exclaimed. She was one of the plentiful housemaids from which Annabelle received her information from.

She brushed delicately through Annabelle's hair.

"I can't get over how soft your hair is Lady Robins."

It had been a few days since Anna had seen Ms. Gregory. To be quite honest, she was still recovering from the shock.

For a woman to be seen in male garments was an atrocity. They probably would have been stoned or ridiculed for going against what was seen as socially and morally just but, to be discussing business like a man?

That was extraordinary.

Anna had lived her life being told that women were meant to only be dutiful wives and to help their husbands. They were not to busy their pretty heads with commerce and politics. She could now understand why her parents didn't want her to see that woman.

She went against everything they had taught her and perhaps, it was the catalyze that was needed to tarnish all their hard work in brainwashing her.

Anna always seemed to have a bit of empowerment within her. Not only was she not attracted to the men who courted her but it was unbecoming to her that she was to wed someone she knew nothing about.

She was not ignorant to the fact of being attracted to this woman but she also wanted to know what it felt like to have so much power. She was told that Ms. Serena Gregory was twenty-seven years old and she was not married. She had her own estate, and resources and was living quite copiously.

Based on the rumors, her maid had heard. She has coordinated the mining of coalfields in Lancashire and is involved in the selling of textiles, metals, and diamonds for huge profits.

This woman had accomplished more than the suitors who visited her on occasion had ever dreamed to achieve; she found it rather alluring.

"Thank you. I keep telling you, you can call me Anna." She responded politely as her maid styles her hair with a few braids and pins it up. Another suitor sent a letter from Wales and said he would be arriving in three business days.

She was to be wearing her finest dress and jewelry.

It all was starting to become very boring but she bared with it because of her parents.

'I would rather be out by the riverside, reading poetry.' She thought.

"What else do you know about Ms. Gregory?" She asks as she gets up and walks to her body-sized mirror where Dorothy places the sapphire necklace around her neck which complemented her eyes and brought out her white evening dress.

"Apparently, her mother is very ill and her father is passing on the family business to his son although she is better suited." Dorothy pulls away to look at her craft and smiles.

"You look beautiful lady- I mean Anna. I hope this suitor catches your eyes." She peeps at the open door ensuring that no one is listening before she whispers to Anna.

"I also heard that Ms. Gregory indulges in taboo. It is known that she is a woman lover." She pauses before continuing.

"She once proposed to a woman, but no one knows what happened. She left England and has never returned since." Dorothy pulled away.

"Maybe it is just a silly rumor because why hasn't she been punished? Maybe wealth is really all-powerful."

"God is all-powerful Dorothy." Anna scolds and Dorothy blushes an embarrassing hue.

"I'm sorry miss." There was a pause before she continued.

"Have a good day Anna. I am off to my duties."

Dorothy seemed to be quite ashamed as she quickly hustled out of her quarters.

Anna stood there, staring at herself in the mirror but this time she didn't stay long. She knew that she was not entirely numb and she knew the clue to finding her identity.

She walked out of her room and down the staircase to the bottom floor of the mansion. She entered the waiting room to see that her suitor had arrived.

"Hello Lady Robins, it is nice to meet your acquaintance." The charming man tipped off his hat and bowed toward her.

His hair was the color of auburn ginger with a few brown streaks within the slicked hair. His eyes were kind and very much green, just like emeralds. Freckles decorated his cheeks and he leaned more towards the cute side than the handsome side but it could still do some swooning.

She glanced at her parents who were expectantly waiting for them to go about their talking session.

"Shall we?"

He walks towards her and points his hat towards the hallway.

She gives one more look to her parents before giving him a small smile and walking with him toward the garden.

"I have heard so much about you." He starts off the conversation and she decides to entertain him.

"And what might that be?" She asks with a raised eyebrow.

"There are the bad things; like you are selfish, insensitive, and proud - then there are the good things, like your beauty is breathtaking, you're benign and very intelligent. I heard you know four languages at such a young age already and are exceptional at the piano."

She had to stop herself from rolling her eyes, she knew this man brought no harm but did they always have to sound so rehearsed?

"I know for sure which one is untrue." He states, quite contented and a bit relieved. She chuckled.

"Maybe you should try not to listen to silly rumors and find out things on your own." She challenges him.

Was she flirting?

How could she even say that when she was milking her maid for gossip just minutes ago.

The man stops walking and pauses.

"Sorry for my manners, I did not introduce myself formally. My name is Edward Beckham." He states and bows once again.

"I am not here to ask for your hand in marriage. I know it is ridiculous for you to marry someone you do not know. I am here to get to know you in whatever matter that may insinuate."

She looked at him. He was impressive with his words and quite persuasive, however, she was not easily swayed or flattered.

"You are too kind but I do not think that is appropriate. If you come here more than once then it would surely look like we are courting." She stated and he nods his head in understanding.

"I already talked to your parents that I have no intention of forcing you to marry me or proposing to you as yet. I just want to get to know you and I am not an envious man. You can even see other suitors if you see fit."

He's good.

She sucks in a deep breath and released it gracefully before smiling. "Okay, I accept your proposal but you will be sorely disappointed with the end result."

He finally puts his hat back on his head and grins at her.

"Being able to spend free time with a fair lady during my evenings to talk does not seem like an end result to be disappointed about."

She smiled at that. He was sweet but still, no reaction from her. If it was possible though, she would not mind being friends with this man.

She finally curtsied.

"Nice to meet your acquaintance Mr. Beckham. What shall we talk about?" She asks as they continue their stroll.

"How about what you think about the progression of the factories blooming in London?"

She was going to look forward to these evenings.