𝟏𝟕

The door slammed shut and Serena stormed into her mansion, one of her servants rushing towards her with worry in her eyes.

"Where are they?" Serena asks angrily, not bothering to allow the servant to take off her hat nor her coat.

"They're in your study-" The servant begins but Serena doesn't give her the chance to finish and heads up the staircase to her study.

"Don't you know this is trespassing?" She states angrily upon arriving, walking straight towards her desk and ignoring the three policemen as well as her father. "I knew you where a bloody man child Luther and I didn't think you could be any worse than that but I must say, I'm impressed at your tenacity of proving me wrong."

She shrugged off her coat and places it over her chair. She takes a seat whilst removing her hat, pacing herself and calming down her nerves. Her father is reveling in anger, she couldn't fight him with fire, she needed to fight him with water.

"Your language is as indecent as always." Luther scrunched his face, making himself comfortable in one of Serena's couches. She squints her eyes at him, the thought of strangling him to death giving her a rush of endorphins.

She clasps her hands in front of her and looks at the officers.

"Can I please be enlightened to the reason of you barging into my home and threatening my servants for my whereabouts? I received a letter from my head maid moments ago informing me of these ludicrous acts." She asks professionally, hoping to go about this in a docile manner. It makes no sense acting up and getting arrested.

"Ms. Gregory, you are aware that you are in possession of property, resources and accumulated wealth of the late Lord Matthew Gregory. Yes?" One of the officers asks, retrieving a paper and starting to read off of it.

Serena digs her fingers into her hand and nods her head. "Yes I am aware."

"You are also aware that you have no lineage or rights to his assets as it states that you both were not married, therefore, these assets where not given as a dowry."

"I wouldn't exactly say that."

The policeman raises an eyebrow, looking up from the paper.

"Then how would you say it is?" Serena leans back into her chair.

"It was given to me by will and by his verbal command. You can ask the servants of the household." She stated, knowing where this was going.

"Well, even if you were capable of providing the evidence to prove your claim." The police officer states mockingly, not believing that a man would leave anything to a woman. "You must also be aware that owning land, property and assets isn't capable of a woman."

"Isn't capable of a woman?" Serena asks, raising her tone. "And who decides that?"

"The law."

"Where in the law?"

"Ms. Gregory or should I say Lady Johnson..." Serena's eyes turn dark with rage, glaring at the police officer.

"Please be aware that we aren't in court, and you aren't being arrested. We are just here to give you a warning." He gestures to another officer who places a paper on her desk.

"If you are able to provide the will written by Lord Matthew, then we are obliged to consider following his wishes. However, due to fact that you cannot own this wealth, you must marry in the allotted time, so we no longer have any misunderstandings in the future."

Serena picks up the letter, quickly scheming over the information.

"3 months?" She asked, disgusted and appalled at what she was reading.