𝟏𝟐

August 1837.

Life was bustling at the Robins' mansion once again as preparations were being made for the engagement ball that was said would be the ball of the year. Servants were up and down, gathering materials and fabric for freshly tailored dresses for Martha Robins and Annabelle Robins.

Martha had decided that Anna needed to look dazzling for the ball and so, a new dress was required for the occasion. She had been in a chipper mood as time towards the ball drew closer which was a rare sight for the bitter, strict woman.

Balls were her forte as she could swoon the guests easily and most of the time, ended up taking the spotlight against the host's request.

However, Anna on the other hand was feeling like a hyperactive child, waiting impatiently for a raspberry tart as she yearned to see Ms. Gregory again.

They had met thrice more since then and each time, their conversations were enthralled with tales of industrial London and their complete differences in hobbies.

Unlike Anna who preferred to have her face buried in a book of literature and mathematics or playing a piano, Serena preferred outdoorsy affairs such as attending horse racing and other interests such as board games and drama shows. Serena also adored the dark corners of London and all the debauchery that came with it but she decided to keep her distasteful habits hidden from Anna for now.

Although Anna enjoyed their conversations greatly, the best part for her were when it all came down to the end and Serena took her to that blissful land of lust once again.

So far, they had only kissed and for Anna that was barely enough for her now.

What was Ms. Gregory waiting for?

Or perhaps, she was moving too quickly?

Would she look cheap if she asked for more?

She felt deprived, so deprived that not even her could fix her need and this was why, she couldn't wait to see Serena again. She hoped she attended the ball, she wondered if she even could but she wished for a miracle.

She hadn't seen the woman for some time now, four days and yes, she had been counting. She was still in the mansion but for some reason, they hadn't crossed paths and it was driving the blonde crazy. She needed to calm down, distract herself, something.

"You're thinking about her, aren't you?" Dorothy whispered, just in case Anna's mother was eavesdropping. The woman kept bursting into the room to check Dorothy's progress with Anna's hair after all and so, they couldn't be too careful.

"Is it obvious?" Anna muttered shamefully and Dorothy scoffed as she added another pin to the delicate up do she had spent some time on.

"You have been staring at the mirror with that awestruck look of yours, of course it's obvious." Dorothy groaned and Anna could only remain silent with a slight frown which only caused Dorothy to stop what she was doing in her hair for the time being.

"Did something happen?" She asked and Anna pondered on whether she should tell Dorothy or not. She hadn't told none of the girls about the kissing as yet or the many conversations she had with Ms. Gregory.

She didn't know why not but right now, she felt like Dorothy was the best bet for now, she was the oldest and although she couldn't exactly relate to her situation, she should have some advice.

She explained everything that had been going on and after giving enough background, she dropped the culprit of her worry.

"Me and Serena kissed..." Anna began and Dorothy rose an eyebrow, picking up a pin with a pearl at the end so she could push it into Anna's hair. "Three? Four? Or maybe more than that."