𝟐𝟑

Louise grunted and cursed as he stood up quickly to look back at Ms. Gregory who appeared puzzled. He stepped closer towards her so he could block what he was taking but she still made an effort to glance behind him.

"Ms. Gregory, I didn't expect to see you here. Shouldn't you be at the ball?" He attempted to direct her attention to him with conversation. his tone was uneasy, but his gait showed apprehension and annoyance which indicated he would be confrontational if she questioned what he was doing.

She was certain she saw some expensive valuables behind him. A few household ornaments and jewelry; guessing from the direction he was coming from, which was Lady Martha's quarters, she had good reason to believe where they were taken from. If she thought she was drowsy and disoriented earlier, then she was close to wide awake now.

Louise Becklar was in a nicely designed suit befitting of a ball, but she did not recall seeing him there.  The last time she remembered seeing him was at Elna Marvell and Lord Axwell McRodden's engagement ball when he approached Anna without any authorization. He was promptly rejected by the fierce Anna but that didn't stop his pursuit. He also happened to be the last suitor who approached Anna in hopes of marriage but by then Anna had decided to lie about her affections for Mr. Beckham: mainly because her mother seemed oddly fond of him.

She was fond of the wrong person since he was now stealing from her.

Ms. Gregory had to admit that she didn't know everyone but there was something off about this man. He was very mysterious and held no title akin to an imposter. Besides his name having similarities to Mr. Beckham, she had no idea who he was and assumed that if suspicion were to arise, she doubted anyone knew who he was either. Although she was trying to stay attentive, the pills and the alcohol were still in high concentration disabling her from functioning at her best.

If a fight was to happen between them, she wouldn't be able to defend herself in this state, so she betted on a different approach.

"I'm sure the ball must have ended by now. I didn't see you at the ball, but I guess you had other matters to take care of." She attempted to glance behind him again and he swiftly took a step to obscure her vision.

"Yes. I am just sorting out a few things that were asked of me. I didn't know your room was around here."

'If you knew, you would have been quieter.' She thought.

"I don't think you have any place being up here." She decided there was no need to avoid the situation at hand.

His pleasant demeanor changed, something else taking control. His once poised stance slouched, and his gaze became hooded as whatever facade he was wearing began to disappear like it never existed.

"Ms. Gregory, you should really mind your business. " He said through gritted teeth, his eyes hungry and desperate.

Serena stayed firm in her questioning as she continued to probe him. "Oh? Well, you said someone asked you to be up here. Was it Lady Martha? How about we go and ask her now?"

By now, Louise already knew he had been caught and needed to make an exit quickly. He wasn't so keen on leaving what he came here for in the first place. In the beginning, he had no plans of returning to this house that was filled with lies and betrayal, but after things hadn't gone as planned, he needed some form of payment for his troubles. Lady Martha could think of this as a settlement, the selfish hag.

Louise removed something from his back pocket and when Serena glanced down, she could see the flicker of light reflecting on the high carbon steel. Every muscle in her body seized as she took a step back, watching him with weary eyes. She needed to fight. Regardless of if she was capable or not, she had no choice in the matter.