𝟎𝟑

June 1837.

The suit was crisp, perfectly ironed and tailored to suit the woman's body. She decided to wear an embroidered brown waistcoat with black tie, black jacket, and black trousers; she never forgets to wear her black glove on her left hand whilst her right hand that held her walking stick was bare.

She exists the brougham and this was when the nostalgia hit her at full force. She took a deep breathe and sighed, she enjoyed the weather here but she hated the memories she had of this estate.

Her coachman carries the carriage along and she makes her way to the door. Before she could knock, the door flew open and something small yet hard crashed into her waist, hugging her tightly.

"I see there was no lie in your letters." Serena mocked her little sister who pulled away and pouted but her face quickly changed to excitement.

"You're home, You're home!" Her sister jumps against her and hugs her even tighter.

"You've grown so much." Serena explains. "But still so loud."

Her younger sister rolls her eyes, pulls away but grabs her arm forcing her into the extravagant mansion.

Ms. Gregory shakes her head at the excitement of her sister as she was dragged to her mother's quarters where she laid, sick as she had left her but maybe a bit worse.

"Mother, Serena is back!"

Their mother tries her hardest to sit up to greet her daughter but Serena quickly walked to her side and gently made her lie back down. "Don't push yourself." She scolded and her mother only smiled. The woman had black hair just like Serena and brown eyes. Her complexion was pale but more so because of her illness and a bit thinner because she struggled to eat. 

She coughed before responding in a soft, hoarse voice due to all the coughing. "Can't I sit up to hug my daughter?"

Serena told her sister to grab their mother a glass of water as she pulled a chair to her mothers' bedside and took of her top hat. 

"You don't need to sit up for that mother." She leans forward and pulls her into a loving embrace. Once they break apart, the woman starts to cough again.

"Your fever is back." Serena states sadly but her mother only smiles.

"It will surely pass. How was France?" Her mother asks, always enjoying her daughter's stories.

"It was cold, beautiful. Learning French was the best decision you made for me." She starts. "I managed to make some decent profits over there and bought you some medicine." She explains.

Serena pulls out a small glass container filled with some pills. "It should help with the pain."

Her mother shakes her head. "I am grateful but you should keep them for someone who really needs them. I am too long gone."

That seemed to anger Serena. "What are you talking about?!" Her mother frowns and Serena calms down a bit. "Sorry for shouting but what do you mean?"

"I no longer feel any pain and the doctors say that my time is near." Serena could feel everything spinning around her. She was preparing for this but knowing that it was indeed a reality was too much to take.

"Does Diana know?" Her mother shakes her head. "I don't want to bother her with this. She's too young."

Serena wondered if her mother knew about her father's plan. She changed her mind on telling her about it. She knew now that her sister was going to be her responsibility and the least she could want for her mother now was to pass peacefully, not worried and without pain. She grabbed her mother's hand and squeezed it, usually her mother would squeeze it in return but she was too weak to do such.