𝟐𝟏

Flabbergasted.

It was the only word to describe the fiery of emotions flipping and turning within her heart. She couldn't put her finger on the specific one that was most prominent, but shock and bewilderment were fighting for winning medals.

Anna stood there, mouth agape like a dying fish, unable to form any words. She only registered how silly she must have looked when Angel tilted his head expectantly with a smirk which she noted was not giving off the eloquence as Edward had described to her before.

As a woman, she couldn't say the man before her was beautiful but, who was she to make that statement. She was still new to all of this and maybe that would have been the right word to describe him, especially with those long, dark eyelashes and perfect skin which could make any woman in England jealous.

To her, there was something seductive and sly about him, reminding her of a fox but yet again, the way he was looking at her right now made her feel insignificant like he was mocking her; perhaps it was that considering his peerage was much higher than her own. The duke of St. Albans.

The duke of St. Albans?!

This was the first time she was in front of someone so important, well, that may be a lie as she has attended a ball hosted by the Queen in her youth. Though that was just to begin her search for a suitable husband.

The tension was very high between Angel and her. She was certain he didn't like her at all, but could she really blame him considering the history between him and Edward.

But wasn't he the one who chose reputation over love?

She had so many questions and because of that, she briefly glanced at Edward.

She was so within her head that she didn't notice the awkwardness swimming within the pools of his eyes as he waited for her reaction. However, it wasn't that awkwardness that caused her to finally swallow her shock and respond but the anxiety mixed with hurt she could see building on his face.

She could ask questions later, but she needed to be here for him. Help him through this. She couldn't imagine what he was feeling right now. So, she decided to put on show and make this as unbearable for this duke as possible.

Anna smoothly gathered her composure and did a delicate curtsy, holding her dress as she did so. "It is my pleasure to meet you your grace. I didn't expect someone of your high standing to arrive this evening."

She smiled kindly, easing closer to Edward, hooking her arm underneath his to help him regain his confidence as well as to spite Angel.

"My Edward-" She emphasizes on the 'My'.

"Has spoken so much about you."

Angel maintained his smirk, although something in his eyes seemed to twitch a bit but he remained cool and calm. Something Edward hated. He was always so unreadable and unpredictable.

"I hope he has only spoken kind words. I wouldn't want to impose and ruin the mood. When I received his invitation, I knew immediately I had to come. I think that was the respectful thing to do, don't you think so Edward?" He turned his attention back to Edward, once again bringing up his absence to his wedding in an underhanded way.

Anna had to contain herself from scoffing. Was he so pretentious to think that his lover should attend his wedding?!

"Of course. The same way I believe keeping promises are just as important." Edward responded, his smile wavering a bit. Anna didn't know what that meant, she would have to ask later but for right now, she knew Angel broke an unspoken promise between lovers. Trust.